The 2019 Billboard Awards: Versatility and popular performances

The 2019 Billboard Awards featured performances and awards by the most popular artists of this year on May 1 at the MGM Arena in Las Vegas.

Kelly Clarkson hosted the awards, starting off with a mash-up performance of the songs from the nominees.

Drake won the Billboard for Top Artist of the Year, the biggest award of the show. The top 100 award went to Maroon 5 featuring Cardi B for the song collaboration “Girls Like You,” which Cardi B accepted on stage.

Mariah Carey was awarded Billboard’s Icon award by Jennifer Hudson, followed by a powerful performance that included old and new songs by Carey.

Top R&B and Rap songs were awarded to Ella Mai and Cardi B. Mai won the R&B award for her song “Boo’d Up,” and Cardi B won the Rap award for her song “I Like It.”

Drake took home two more Billboard awards for his album, “Scorpion” and the title of Top Male Artist. He brought champagne and celebrated his win right on stage.

Imagine Dragons accepted their award for top rock artist and used their platform to talk about conversion therapy laws across the United States. Meanwhile, Panic! At The Disco was awarded top rock song for “High Hopes.”

New artists such as BTS and Juice World accepted billboard awards for top duo group and top new artist, respectively.

The Top country song Billboard award was given to Florida Georgia Line and Bebe Rexha for “Meant To Be.”

Host Kelly Clarkson, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Khalid, the Jonas Brothers, BTS, Panic At The Disco and Halsey performed at the award show between each award announcement.

Taylor Swift and Brendon Urie started the show off by performing their newest collaboration, “ME!,” which featured pastel colors and large umbrellas.

BTS and Halsey performed their song collaboration, “Boys with Luv,” for the first time. Halsey came out wearing something that matched the look BTS was wearing, paired with a short black wig. Prior to the performance, the band showed-off friendship bracelets Halsey had given them when they worked together.

Halsey also performed her newest song “Without Me” that she paired with dramatic choreography that demonstrated a fight with her “demons.”

The Jonas Brothers made an appearance and performed each other's singles from when the band was separated, and later transitioned to their new song, “Sucker.”

Paula Abdul performed as a throwback artist to end the award show, performing her classic hits.

The Billboard Awards was filled with not only incredibly inclusive awards, but an array of performances from pop, country and rock artists.

Madison Appleby is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at madison.appleby@uconn.edu.