WRTD proposes to change bus routes and schedule

The WRTD bus stops at the Mansfield Transportation Center. The bus stops here each hour. (Elizabeth Sankey/The Daily Campus)

The Windham Regional Transit District has recently released a press release proposing changes to routes 671, 672 and 673. They will hold public hearings about the changes.

According to the release, Route 672, the Storrs-Willimantic local route, would be divided into three distinct variations: A-Gateway commons to Four Corners, B- Foster Drive to Whitney/ East Campus and C- Gateway Commons to South Eagleville road and Mansfield Transportation center. It will also prioritize connections from Mansfield Center to UConn during peak travel times. They also propose to make more connections to destinations off South Eagleville Road.

“The 672 Storrs-Willimantic changes should be beneficial to many UConn students who use the route,” Katharine Otto, the Shared Transportation Planner for WRTD, said. “We know that a lot of students and people affiliated with UConn use the stops in the Foster Drive area and East Campus/Whitney Hall, particularly during peak periods in the morning.”

Otto said WRTD is proposing regular connections into Willimantic to help out graduate students who frequently travel there.

Otto said the goal behind the change is to make the buses less crowded and make sure no passengers are left behind.

“We hope that the changes we are proposing will make the schedules and routes easier to understand and easier to use for all of our riders,” Otto said. “ Unfortunately there are no additional funds available to expand service hours or change the area covered by the routes in this proposal.”

The WRTD will hold two public hearings about the proposed changes on May 20 at the Windham Town Hall Auditorium at 11 a.m. and at the Nash-Zimmer Transportation Center at 5:30 p.m.

Joshua Oculam is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.oculam@uconn.edu.