A taste of summer

Students gathered at the CLAS Sundae Fest under sunny blue skies Thursday for free Dairy Bar ice cream. (Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus)

Students gathered at the CLAS Sundae Fest under sunny blue skies Thursday for free Dairy Bar ice cream, CLAS swag and lawn games, as a nice way to destress from the looming finals week. 

“(I came) because I like ice cream and I wanted to have a good time,” Jamie Kurowski, second-semester psychology, ecology and evolutionary biology major, said. “It’s a nice sunny day out today and I wanted to celebrate the end of the year.” 

The line for the ice cream was almost One Ton level in length, but luckily it went by fast. While the flavor choices were limited to chocolate and vanilla, students didn’t mind because even these simple flavors were exceptional on such a warm day. At the end of the line, CLAS majors were given white CLAS T-shirts and a choice of CLAS mugs or sunglasses. With ice cream in hand, students flopped down at picnic tables, on the concrete benches or on the lawn. Others toted their sweet treats across campus to catch their next class or to enjoy it in the comfort of their own rooms.

“It’s delicious and cold,” Kathy Nguyen, second-semester economics and political science major, said about her ice cream.

While the crowd that formed for the ice cream was on the larger side, those that stayed after they finished eating were far fewer. Because of this, students were free to try out any lawn game they wanted without a line. Several groups of students tensely stacked the giant Jenga blocks. With the slight breeze and the weight of the huge wooden blocks, it almost became a fight against nature itself to keep the tower upright. When the stack toppled, the players had to jump away as the blocks hurdled down toward their toes.

Other students split into teams for cornhole. With the cornhole boards slick and the beanbags slightly heavier from the light rain, students struggled to score a goal. Some students attempted to play spike ball, causing the yellow balls to bounce across the lawn. But no matter what game they played, it seemed like everyone was having a great time.

An adorable pup caught balls across the festivities, running victory laps passed the students. Every once in a while he tried to pick up a spike ball in his mouth in addition to his beloved tennis ball. He was very fluffy and kind, and the students were glad to see him.

For those who grabbed white CLAS T-shirts, there was also a free tie dye station. Students could tie up their shirt in any pattern they wanted and then use a large variety of colors to dye it. Since plain UConn shirts are a dime a dozen at events, this was a fun way to make the shirts more personal and fun for students.

With finals weeks only a few days away, many students used this event as a last hurrah with their friends. Although summer is largely stress-free and much warmer, many students won’t be able to see some of their school friends again until next fall.

“(I came) cause I love ice cream and it’s a nice way to end my first year here,” Nguyen said. 

Rebecca Maher is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.l.maher@uconn.edu.