Ed Sheeran’s biggest collaboration: ‘No. 6 Collaborations Project’

British singer-songwriter and international musical success Ed Sheeran released a collaboration album titled “No. 6 Collaborations Project,” on Friday, July 12. 

The collaboration featured popular names in music today such as Khalid, Cardi B, Eminem, 50 Cent, Travis Scott, Justin Bieber and Camilla Cabello. The album has 15 tracks of varying styles, from acoustic love songs to hip hop and pop crossover songs. 

Prior to the full album,  Sheeran released some of the tracks as singles, including “I Don't Care” featuring  Bieber, “Cross Me” featuring Chance The Rapper, “Put It All On Me” featuring Ella Mai, “Beautiful People,” featuring Khalid and “BLOW” featuring Bruno Mars. 

The song “I Don't Care” has the classic pop vibes that Bieber and Sheeran are known for, but heavier lyrics, as the two sing about the pressures and anxieties of the music business and being newlyweds.  

In the Spotify storyline attached to the song Sheeran said,  “This song is about being at an industry event with the person you love and just kind of being like ‘f*ck this, lets have fun ourselves’.”

In the song “BLOW,” with Mars and country singer Chris Stapleton, Sheeran pushes a lot of boundaries. The song sounds like a rock song, combining funk vocals, electric guitars and distinct drums on the track. Mars is known for the old-school, funky vibes in his vocals.

“BLOW” is not the only time on the album Sheeran experiments and gets out of his comfort zone. There are a few tracks that include Latinx artists such as Paulo Londra, Dave and Cabello and feature Spanish lyrics. 

“Nothing on You,” featuring Londra and Dave has a verse that is entirely in Spanish but transitions seamlessly into English lyrics. The style of this song is not typical for Sheeran but brings a lot of diversity to the album. 

There are many tracks on the album that stray from Sheeran's typical catchy pop tracks. Quite a few tracks feature rap and hip hop artists, such as Eminem and 50 Cent. In “Remember The Name” Sheeran shares the track with both rappers. The song is reminiscent of a 90s R&B song, and the furthest thing from today’s heavily produced chart-toppers. Even Sheeran’s vocals had more of an R&B/hip hop tone than a pop tone. 

The collaboration project showed Sheeran’s true diversity in musical stylings and vocal abilities. The album was a true collaborative work; with each song boasting a little piece of every individual artist. The album as a whole sounded like a fun recording session with friends, and that vibe translates into the music. It’s a fun listen, especially for fans who have a diverse music taste. 

Rating: 5/5

Madison Appleby is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at madison.appleby@uconn.edu.