Getting Involved: It’s easier than you think

Students explore the many clubs and organizations at the September Involvement Fair.  Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus.

Students explore the many clubs and organizations at the September Involvement Fair. Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus.

While classes may take up a good portion of your time throughout the school year, you’ll still find yourself with a lot of free time on your hands. A great way to alleviate boredom and make good use of the extra time you have is by getting involved. Luckily, there are tons of ways to get involved at UConn. 

One of the best ways to get involved on campus is to head to the Involvement Fair that takes place every fall and spring. The fall involvement fair spans all of Fairfield Way, while the spring involvement fair occupies Gampel Pavilion. It features hundreds of on-campus organizations that are always looking for more students to get involved. Each table is run by students so you can ask questions and even learn about their own experience with the club. Overall, clubs are a great way to meet new people of different backgrounds with shared interests. 

If diving into the Involvement Fair head first sounds a bit overwhelming, a great way to narrow down which clubs you’re interested in is by using UConntact, which allows you to search for campus organizations easily by using a keyword or sorting them by categories. If you miss the Involvement Fair or find yourself wanting to look for some new clubs, there will always be flyers advertising clubs, programs, research studies and events all around campus. The most well known places to look for flyers are the bottom floor of the ITE Building and the first floor of McHugh Hall. 

thumbnail-2.jpeg

This year’s involvement fair

is on Wednesday, Sept. 4th!

Getting involved doesn’t have to pertain only to joining clubs, but it can also mean going to sporting events and supporting UConn Athletics. Most games, like softball and baseball, are free to attend on campus. A new perk this year is that all UConn students get free admission to home games using their IDs so there’s even more incentive to go out and support your fellow Huskies.  

The Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts also hosts a variety of shows throughout each school year. Each year a variety of guests of different backgrounds are brought to UConn to entertain students and the surrounding community. The full list of acts and tickets are available on Jorgensen’s website. The performances featured at Jorgensen for this season include The Piano Guys, Boston Pops and Kristin Chenoweth, to name a few. Jorgensen is also host to the Connecticut Repertory Theatre (CRT) which has plenty of opportunity for student involvement. 

Another good way of getting involved with the UConn community is by attending events and lectures hosted by different student organizations and faculty. These kinds of events offer great ways to meet new people and learn new things. Clubs are constantly promoting themselves and hosting fundraisers for various causes. You can typically find tables run by clubs along Fairfield Way, in the Student Union or at the Homer Babbidge Library. Most clubs are usually raising awareness for a cause or selling food as a fundraiser.  

There are lots of opportunities for getting involved on campus and each one can be a fun experience if you just give it a try. After all, college is about new experiences, so don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and make the best memories. 

Brandon Barzola is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at brandon.barzola@uconn.edu.