Around the American Football: Cincinnati shut out, USF fumbles game away 

The UConn football team hung with Illinois on Saturday in a 31-23 loss, but that was one of the only close games the American Athletic Conference had to offer in Week Two. USF played a tight game with Georgia Tech, but the rest of the games were blowouts, some in favor of the AAC teams and others not so much. 

No. 5 Ohio State: 42 Cincinnati: 0 

Cincinnati’s 122-year drought of beating Ohio State will continue for at least another year after Saturday’s 42-0 massacre. The Bearcats needn’t feel bad about losing to the No. 5 team in the country, but the style in which they lost was pretty embarrassing. 

Ohio State running back Jaelen Gill, right, tries to get away from Cincinnati defensive back Cam Jefferies during the second half of an NCAA college football game.  Photo by Jay LePrete/Associated Press

Ohio State running back Jaelen Gill, right, tries to get away from Cincinnati defensive back Cam Jefferies during the second half of an NCAA college football game. Photo by Jay LePrete/Associated Press

Cincinnati’s offense couldn’t do anything all game long. The Buckeye defense forced Cincy to punt eight times and also forced two turnovers. The Bearcats amassed just 273 total yards and put zero points on the board. 

Meanwhile, Ohio State’s offense went up and down the field for 508 total yards. Sophomore quarterback Justin Fields had a day, completing an exceptional 20 out of 25 passes for 224 yards and two touchdowns. He also made plays with his legs, running for 42 yards and another two scores. Running back J.K. Dobbins had a big game as well, carrying the ball 17 times for 141 yards and two touchdowns. 

Cincinnati was beaten badly by their in-state rival. They will look to bounce back this week against another Ohio opponent in Miami University. 

No. 18 UCF: 48 FAU: 14 

Another week, another blowout win for the Knights of Central Florida. This week, they extended their regular-season winning streak to 24 games against a struggling Florida Atlantic team.  

UCF running back Bentavious Thompson (24) breaks free for a touchdown against Florida Atlantic during the second half of an NCAA college football game.  Photo by Jim Rassol/Associated Press

UCF running back Bentavious Thompson (24) breaks free for a touchdown against Florida Atlantic during the second half of an NCAA college football game. Photo by Jim Rassol/Associated Press

Freshman quarterback Dillon Gabriel completed just seven passes, but they were big ones as he still threw for 245 yards and two touchdowns. Most of the offense, however, came from the ground game. UCF tallied 312 rushing yards and five rushing touchdowns by five different players. 

The Knights defense bent but never broke. They allowed over 300 yards, but a lot of that was in garbage time. The Owls scored their only touchdown of the day in the fourth quarter when the game was already decided. 

Overall, it was a very impressive performance for the Knights. They face their toughest opponent yet, Stanford, this Saturday. Stanford was a preseason top-25 team, so UCF may actually have some competition for a change. 

Georgia Tech: 14 USF: 10  

This was the closest game in The American this week, but if you’re a fan of offense, you probably were bored silly for this one. Neither team cracked 265 total yards and there were 13 punts, a missed field goal and four turnovers in this defensive battle. 

South Florida wide receiver Randall St. Felix runs against Georgia Tech during the first half of an NCAA college football game.  Photo by Jon Barash/Associated Press

South Florida wide receiver Randall St. Felix runs against Georgia Tech during the first half of an NCAA college football game. Photo by Jon Barash/Associated Press

The only scoring for Georgia Tech came on two rushing touchdowns in the second quarter, but that would prove to be enough. A week after being shut out 49-0 by Wisconsin, USF struggled mightily on offense again. The Bulls used three different quarterbacks who threw for a combined 169 yards. The only touchdown came on a 20-yard pass from Jordan McCloud to Johnny Ford to start the fourth quarter.  

Still, the USF defense gave the team a chance to win. Down 14-10 with 10 minutes remaining in the game, the Bulls were one yard away from taking the lead. However, defensive back Kaleb Oliver forced running back Jordan Cronkite to fumbled the football on the one yard line, which sealed the win for the Yellow Jackets. 

The Bulls move to 0-2 this season and have lost eight straight games dating back to last year. This week they look to break that streak against South Carolina State.  

Memphis: 55 Southern: 24 

For as lopsided as the final score was, this game was actually closer than it should have been in the first half. Southern played about as well as you could expect an FCS team to play in the first half. They hung around with Memphis and trailed just 27-17 going into halftime. 

The second half was all Tigers, though. They scored on every possession except one while holding the Southern offense silent for the final 30 minutes. 

Tigers quarterback Brady White had a fantastic game. He went 17-for-21 on his pass attempts, throwing for 337 yards and two touchdowns. Damonte Coxie was his favorite target, as he caught six passes for 112 yards. Kenneth Gainwell led the rushing attack with 16 carries for 85 yards and two touchdowns. The team finished with 575 total yards in a rout of the Jaguars.  

Memphis will look to remain undefeated this weekend when they take on South Alabama. 

Danny Barletta is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu.