The Huskies’ Tribune: An Introduction

Carli Cutler is a senior on UConn’s softball team and began “The Huskies Tribune,” a way for student athletes to voice their thoughts on paper.  Photo by Charlotte Lao, Photo Editor/Daily Campus

Carli Cutler is a senior on UConn’s softball team and began “The Huskies Tribune,” a way for student athletes to voice their thoughts on paper. Photo by Charlotte Lao, Photo Editor/Daily Campus

My name is Carli Cutler, and I am a senior on the women’s softball team working toward my degree in Sport Management with a minor in Psychology. Playing softball at the University of Connecticut is a dream come true for me and the pride I feel wearing UConn across my chest every day is overwhelming.  

As I have navigated my way through UConn being both a student and an athlete, one of the biggest lessons I have learned on the field and in the classroom is to take risks and always go after what I want.  

One of the most important goals I had when I started as a freshman three years ago was to leave my mark on the softball program, and as I have grown through the years, that goal has evolved into wanting to leave my mark on the athletic department as a whole.  

One of my personal core values is to create an environment where everyone feels like they are valued and have a voice. Through the lessons I have learned paired with my goals, I knew I wanted to give athletes an outlet to share their stories.  

With all of these things in mind, I had an idea for UConn’s version of The Players’ Tribune, which would give athletes an opportunity to tell their story, their way. There are so many athletes at UConn who have sacrificed so much to be where they are in their sport, and there are so many stories that deserve to be told.  

Cutler has loved her time on the softball team, saying her ultimate goal was to leave her mark on the entire athletics program.  File Photo/Daily Campus

Cutler has loved her time on the softball team, saying her ultimate goal was to leave her mark on the entire athletics program. File Photo/Daily Campus

The idea with The Huskies’ Tribune is that the door is open to all athletes to tell their story about their journey to where they are now or a specific experience or opportunity that has had a huge impact on their lives.  

This can be a sport story or a non-sport story, as it is also important to recognize that student athletes are more than just the sport they play. This opens the door to getting to know more athletes who compete wearing UConn on their chest every day.  

Note from the editors: If you’re a student athlete who would like to tell their story and be published in The Daily Campus, please send an email to sports@dailycampus.com. No previous writing experience is needed, and we’re happy to help tell the story. Please spread the word to other student athletes who may be interested in writing, and we hope to hear from you soon! 

Carli Cutler is a student athlete and member of the Huskies’ softball team