Storrs Stories: Pre-Labor Day disruption and students added to BoT

Image provided by writer.

Image provided by writer.

Students at the University of Connecticut were disturbed in 1976 when classes started before Labor Day.  

The change in the academic calendar came after a majority of students checked in before Labor Day for the 1975 academic year.  

Some students felt their summers were cut short and had to end their summer jobs earlier than planned.  

Image provided by writer

Image provided by writer

“I was too rushed getting stuff here,” alumna Doreen Russo said. “Homework prevented me from doing anything.”  

This change allowed the University Senate to vote to complete the semester before Christmas.  

In 1975, the University of Connecticut added two student seats on the Board of Trustees.  

Image provided by writer

Image provided by writer

There was a question about if the student trustees would be given full voting rights, but that was resolved so students were given equal standing with the other members.  

“I think students have more than demonstrated their ability to serve on the board,” then-State Senator Audrey S. Beck said. “I believe their performance will produce acceptability.”  

The board is responsible for establishing fees, hiring administrators and coordinating programs.  

Ashley Anglisano is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.