Melissa’s Menu: One-pan teriyaki chicken meal prep

This chicken recipe is perfect for students with a busy schedule that will leave you fully satiated.  Photo by     Valeria Boltneva     from     Pexels

This chicken recipe is perfect for students with a busy schedule that will leave you fully satiated. Photo by Valeria Boltneva from Pexels

If you’re new to cooking like I am, you’re probably still getting used to coming up with new recipe ideas each day. This week I present you with a solution: Meal prep. Not only do you have to cook less often, but you don’t have to worry about creating a new unique dish every day of the week. Meal prepping can be a saving grace for anyone with a busy schedule and this week’s recipe is the perfect place to start. This chicken teriyaki recipe can be made with only one pan, and includes a variety of vegetables that can be used each day so it isn’t too repetitive. It’s a healthy, easy meal that will still leave you fully satisfied.  

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup of low sodium soy sauce 

• 3 tablespoons of water 

• 1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic 

• 1 tablespoon of cornstarch 

• 4 tablespoons of honey 

• 3 skinless chicken breasts 

• 1/2 bell pepper, sliced 

• 1 cup of broccoli florets 

• 1 cup of baby carrots 

• 1 cup of green beans, trimmed 

• salt, to taste 

• pepper, to taste 

• 2 cups of cooked brown rice, for serving 

• sesame seed, for garnish 

• green onion, for garnish  

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the soy sauce, water, garlic, cornstarch and honey. Allow the sauce to begin bubbling, then stir until sauce thickens. Remove from the heat. Spoon a little teriyaki sauce onto the center of a large parchment-lined baking sheet. Lay the chicken on top of the sauce. Arrange the bell peppers, broccoli, green beans and carrots out on either side of the chicken. Season the vegetables and chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Coat everything well with teriyaki sauce, reserving some for later. Bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool. Slice the chicken into strips. 

Distribute the chicken and vegetables evenly between four resealable containers filled with brown rice, separating vegetables for four different dishes if desired. Drizzle the remaining sauce over chicken and garnish with sesame seeds and green onion. Refrigerate up to four days. Enjoy! 

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.