Graduate Student Trustee Applications due September 13  

The Board of Trustees mets on January 30 at Wilbur Cross North Reading room to discuss the future plans for the budget. ( Photo by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut is looking for a graduate student to join the Board of Trustees for the Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 semesters.  

Intent to run and petition of nomination applications for the graduate student representative can be found online at the UConn Voting site, and are due by noon on Sept. 13.   

“Samuel Surowitz, who had served as the graduate trustee, is graduating and therefore can’t finish the term this semester or next semester,” UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said.  

The newly elected student representative will only serve for the 2019-2020 academic year, Reitz said. 

“The person who wins this special election will finish his term by completing two semesters, and another election will be held next spring to select the graduate student trustee who will serve for the following two-year term,” Reitz said. 

Individuals wishing to apply must be full-time students at UConn in good academic standing while holding this position, the UConn voting website said.  

The petition for the nomination portion of the application requires 287 signatures on the Storrs campus, and signatures can come from any registered UConn student. Signatures required vary on each campus, and the numbers for each can be found within the application. 

A few responsibilities include attending all meetings of the Board of Trustees, preparing for each meeting, voting upon every resolution and being accessible to the students.  

The graduate trustee representative is to be an advocate for the University as a whole, and particularly as a student, according to UConn voting. 

“Voting will take place from noon on Oct. 1 through noon on Oct. 3,” Reitz said. “Presuming there are no appeals or challenges to the results, the person who garners the most votes would participate in his or her first board meeting on Wednesday, Oct. 23.” 

The Fall 2019 Election Schedule can be found in great detail on the UConn Voting site, and any other questions can be emailed to Krista O’Brien, the assistant director for trustee student organization advising programs, services and initiatives at krista.obrien@uconn.edu

Naiela Suleiman is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at naiela.suleiman@uconn.edu.