Women's Soccer: Huskies fall to Brown 2-0

The women’s soccer team fell to Brown 2-0 in last night’s game, struggling all game to get shots on net.  Photo by Matthew Pickett, Staff Photographer/Daily Campus

The women’s soccer team fell to Brown 2-0 in last night’s game, struggling all game to get shots on net. Photo by Matthew Pickett, Staff Photographer/Daily Campus

The UConn women’s soccer team could not win back-to-back games for the first time this season in their midweek matchup against Ivy-League opponent Brown.  

On the road in Providence Thursday night, the Huskies lost to the Bears 2-0 to fall to 2-2-1 on the young season. Brown remained undefeated at 3-0 with the win. 

The Bears offense was relentless, as they registered 18 shots with an astounding 10 of them going on goal. Redshirt-junior goalkeeper Randi Palacios made a career-high eight saves, but it was the two saves she didn’t make that decided the game. 

The first Brown goal came just before halftime in the 42nd minute. A corner kick by the Bears resulted in a scrum in front of the UConn goal, and, after all the confusion, the ball wound up in the net. Midfielder Malina Yago got credit for the goal, her first of the season. 

The second goal came in the 62nd minute when the Bears created pressure on the attack. After getting her initial shot blocked, forward Claire Myers put another shot on net which went past the outstretched arms of Palacios for her second goal of the year. 

The Huskies just couldn’t keep the same kind of consistent pressure going. They finished with 11 shots with only four of them on net.  

Kess Elmore set up the best opportunity of the day when she sent a cross to Regan Schiappa but it did not result in a goal.  Photo by Matthew Pickett, Staff Photographer/Daily Campus

Kess Elmore set up the best opportunity of the day when she sent a cross to Regan Schiappa but it did not result in a goal. Photo by Matthew Pickett, Staff Photographer/Daily Campus

Sophomore forward Duda Santin recorded three more shots Thursday to bring her season total to 13, but somehow none of them went in. She had some bad luck against Brown when one of her shots banged off the crossbar, causing it to go up instead of down. 

One of the best opportunities for UConn to score came when redshirt-sophomore forward Kess Elmore set up senior forward Regan Schiappa for a header inside the box. However, as she did with the rest of the UConn shots, goalkeeper Kayla Thompson saved it. In all, Thompson made four saves in a shutout effort for her first start of the season. 

This was the first time the Huskies were shut out this season. They dropped to 21-6 all-time against Brown. The loss snapped a 12-game winning streak against the Bears, dating all the way back to 1990. 

The Huskies will look for redemption Sunday when they take on Boston University in the first game at their new home: Dillon Stadium in downtown Hartford. BU is still searching for its first win of the season at 0-4-1. 

Danny Barletta is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu