Men's basketball: Five-star recruit Diallo to visit UConn Thursday, eligible to play immediately

UConn men's basketball coach Kevin Ollie looks on in the Huskies' 80-59 win over North Florida on Dec. 18, 2016 at Gampel Pavilion.

Five-star prospect Hamidou Diallo, a shooting guard in the class of 2017, may potentially enroll at UConn and begin playing immediately for the men’s basketball team this season, according to Jerry Meyer of 247Sports.

Per David Borges, UConn men’s basketball beat writer for the New Haven Register, Diallo has made it through the NCAA clearinghouse and received eligibility to participate in the 2016-17 season. Diallo has the option to enroll in classes for the second semester and would be eligible to play immediately, meaning that if he commits to UConn, he could begin playing as soon as Friday when the Huskies host Auburn in Hartford.

UConn has pursued Diallo heavily, hosting the local product in Storrs on multiple occasions, and frequently making the trip to local powerhouse boarding school Putnam Science Academy, where he is playing a post-graduate season. Thursday’s visit will be Diallo’s first official visit to any school.

Kentucky remains the heaviest competition for UConn to land Diallo, who trimmed his options down to just six schools before this season began: UConn, Arizona, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky and Syracuse. Only UConn, Kansas, Arizona and Kentucky have scholarships available for this current season.

Diallo is also eligible for the 2017 NBA Draft, having completed his senior season of high school previously. It remains a possibility that Diallo may choose to forgo college altogether and enter this year’s draft immediately.

Diallo, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard from Queens, New York, is considered to be a top-12 player from the class of 2017. His top attributes are his athleticism and his ability to drive the ball to the basket.

The 2016-17 Huskies are 5-5, and will host Auburn Friday at the XL Center in Hartford. American Athletic Conference play begins Dec. 28 against Houston. 

Tyler Keating is associate sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering football and men’s basketball. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.