Swipe Right: Using Tinder to navigate the Big 12 conference realignment

With conference realignment takes hotter than ever, the Daily Campus sports section laid out the case for each school’s chances to join the only Power Five school openly willing to expand. With so much on the line and so many options with various strengths and weaknesses for each schools, the DC staff wondered: What if conference realignment was like Tinder? We created six Tinder profiles for some of strongest candidates looking for their perfect match: the Big 12 conference.

1. Bob Bowlsby: Need money for the Big 12 like I need air to breathe. Looking to start a conference network to compete with the rest of the big boys.

2. BYU: Football tradition unlike any other. Won’t play any sports on Sundays. 

3. Cincy: Prime travel partner for West Virginia. Not stellar but steady; consistently competitive football and basketball.

4. Colorado State: Small-time school with big-time aspirations. Hoping to ride Denver media market to a share of Big 12 revenue.

5. Houston: Texas’ little brother. Burgeoning football program in the heart of Big 12 country.

6. Memphis: A safety school in every sense (great location for Big 12, poor academics, solid athletics). FedEx promises big money for a conference title game that will have no issue landing sponsors

7. UConn: A long shot geographically but sandwiched between two major media markets. An ideal addition if the goal is to add TV viewers and academic prestige.

Whether it's Brigham Young or the UConn Huskies, someone's gotta get the denial of a swipe left. But who would you give that reassuring swipe RIGHT?

Dan Madigan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.

Jackson Haigis is photo editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jackson.haigis@uconn.edu.