Cooking with Claire: Just treats, no tricks

“Cooking with Claire” is an introduction to dining beyond the dining hall using easy, fast and cheap recipes.

As you prepare your Halloween costumes this week, don’t forget to prepare your party supplies as well. I’ve compiled a few easy treats to make in preparation for your Halloween parties.

Pretzel bones: These adorable pretzel, white chocolate and marshmallow treats are a snap to make. Buy small pretzel sticks, white chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. Insert each end of the pretzel stick into a marshmallow. Melt white chocolate chips in the microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring frequently. Dip the pretzel and marshmallow combo into the white chocolate to make mini bones.

Mummy cupcakes with chocolate chips for eyes. (Maid Mirawyn/Flickr Creative Commons)

Cupcake mummies: These cupcakes are delicious and are a great way to practice your cake decorating techniques. Cupcakes are still trendy and will always be delicious. Make any flavor cupcakes you prefer. Top the cupcake with stripes of white icing. Leave room for two eyes. Squeeze two small dots of the icing for the eyeballs, then place on mini chocolate candies or chips for the pupils,

Hot dog mummies: To continue with the mummy theme, but with a little more sustenance, try hot dog mummies. It’s the perfect snack before heading out for your spooky night. Buy hot dogs, Pillsbury crescent roll dough and your favorite dipping sauces. Cut the crescent rolls in strips. Wrap the strips around the hot dog, again leaving space for eyes. Bake the mummies for 13-17 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Dab on ketchup or mustard for the eyes and serve with the sauces. Buy cheese dogs to switch it up.

Banana ghosts make for a healthy Halloween treat. (Omaha Orthodontist/Google Creative Commons)

Banana ghosts: This is a clever way to eat some fruit during your Halloweekend. Buy large bananas, but make sure they are not over-ripe or they won’t hold their shape. Right before your party, peel the bananas and cut them in half. Place the cut side of the banana flat on a platter and stand them upright. Press two mini chocolate chips into the banana for eyes, and one chocolate chip below for a mouth.

Clementine pumpkins: Here’s another fruit snack, and one that can be eaten all season long. Peel clementines completely, being careful not to separate the sections. Clean up the pulp and fibers. Cut celery sticks into small and thin sections. Place a celery stick piece into the top of each clementine to make a pumpkin.

Punch bowl: What’s a Halloween party without a punch bowl? Mix together juices and lemon-lime soda in a large bowl or pitcher. To make the ghostly floating hand, fill a latex glove with water, tie the end in a knot and freeze. If you and your guests are 21 or older, add a little vodka or rum to the punch.

Jello shot syringes: This is another great recipe for those who are 21 or older. Buy red Jello packets such as strawberry, cherry or raspberry. Choose your favorite vodka or rum, or if you’re under 21, use cold water instead. Make the Jello mixture as you normally would. Using the (needle free) syringes available at CVS or Amazon, draw up the mixture into the syringe. Lay them flat on a plate and refrigerate until you’re ready to take your medicine.

All of these recipes can be found online if more details are needed, but are as simple as they sound. Enjoy your fright-filled weekend and stay spooky.

Claire Galvin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.