Cutting costs with Dollar Shave Club

Being a lady is expensive. I won’t go into all the details, but with all of the accoutrements that come with keeping your body healthy, hygienic and looking to your satisfaction, it tends to add up.

The fact that products typically marketed towards women are up to 48 percent more expensive than men’s products, including shampoo, jeans and even scooters and bikes, doesn’t help matters.

The welcome packaging of a Dollar Shave Club razor package. (Wikimedia Creative Commons)

Razors, of course, are no exception. Refill cartridges are expensive-- usually going for $20 for just six blades, which is about $3 per razor. It’s a lot, especially when you’re a college student, and especially when you tend to burn through them in a week or two.

I drew the line when I had to order yet another expensive refill pack for my pink, overpriced razor. There’s a lot of things that I want to spend $20 on, and buying cartridges isn’t one of them.

I did some research and decided to try the razor subscription site Dollar Shave Club, which sends blade refills on a monthly basis. After hearing several positive reviews about it from both males and females, I figured I’d give it a shot. If it didn’t work, then I could cancel it after my first shipment.

First of all: Shipping is free. I love free shipping. It means that there’s no nasty surprises at the checkout. Not only that, but they send you your first handle of your razor for free, with a four-pack of the blades of you choice for just a dollar. A freaking dollar. I’ve spent more on candy bars and discount shampoo.

The different handles available come in the two blade, four blade and six blade option. The most expensive one, ‘The Executive’ is just $9 per month for a four-pack refill. That’s $2.25 per cartridge—25 percent cheaper than in-store options. I ordered it because I was used to six blades, and it seemed reasonable for the price.

There were also options for shaving cream, moisturizer and other products, though I skipped them, because I had my own at home.

My razors arrived about seven days later, which is a bit longer than I’m used to, but then again, I’m spoiled on Amazon Prime two-day shipping. The handle came in a little box with the razor cartridges and a self-congratulatory letter from the CEO. Oh, and a little booklet of holiday fun facts, which is nice I suppose.

The handle felt heavy and expensive. If I dropped it on my toe it would probably hurt. Definitely a switch up from the plastic disposable ones.

After I gave my new razor a test-run that evening in the shower, I decided that I wasn’t ever going back to the pink stuff ever again.

Not only are the blades sharp and give a clean cut, but they last pretty darn long. It’s been a week since and I haven’t felt the blades dull as quickly as my usual cartridges. My legs don’t feel itchy or razor-rashy at all.

Though it’s a monthly subscription and the Dollar Shave Club recommends that you use one cartridge per week, I can probably go for two weeks if I wanted to. Fortunately, I can adjust my subscription to once every two months, so I’m not drowning in razors by the end of the year.

My only gripe is that the shipping takes awhile compared to other subscription services I’ve used. Then again, it’s free, so I’m not complaining.     

So, my overall rating for Dollar Shave Club is 9/10. Skip the overpriced stuff in the stores-- and this goes for all genders that need a good shave. This company makes the cut.

Marlese Lessing is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.