Election Day vibes: Students prepare for Nov. 8

With only seven days until Election Day, many students at the University of Connecticut are planning to vote. However, some don’t seem to think the day will be any different for them other than adding on a trip to Mansfield Community Center.  

“Hopefully it’ll go smoothly. I never voted before so I don’t know if it will be busy or not. I’m just expecting it to be a normal day,” fifth-semester journalism major Laura Gelb said.

Signs outside of the Mansfield Community Center during last year's municipal elections. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Gelb is  one of many journalism students that will serve as an AP stringer, a freelance reporter that contributes updates about the election to the Associated Press. Gelb will travel to Putnam, Conn. to call the election results.

After having registered at one of the voter drivers held on campus, Gelb said she will vote here in Mansfield on Nov. 8.

“I just hope Donald Trump doesn’t become our president,” Gelb said.

Third-semester political science major Jasmine Garcia said she will vote at Mansfield Community Center.

Garcia said she expects long lines at the town hall, and that a large part of her day will be spent at the polling place.

“I think there is probably going to be some sort of conflict between Clinton supporters and Trump supporters since that has been happening in every event they have hosted,” Garcia said.

While students will have a say in who will be America’s next president on Nov. 8, many students said they will vote and continue on like any other Tuesday.

“My plan for Election Day is just to do whatever I would normally do but go vote,” fifth-semester digital media and design major Matthew Bilmes said.

Bilmes also said the day will mostly likely be hectic at the polls and that people will probably be distracted.

“People will be making predictions and checking the results as they come in,” Bilmes said. “I think whatever the results are, whether it’s Trump or Clinton, there will be a lot of happy people or very upset.”

Other students said that they recognize the importance of the day in that it will be the first time that many students will vote in a presidential election.

Third-semester journalism major Ryan Kim said he already voted via absentee ballot from his home state of Pennsylvania.

“Since it is such an important election, I think a lot of people, especially students are going to get out and vote regardless of their class schedules and try to make time for it,” Kim said.

Mansfield Community Center will be open on Election Day from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. In order for people to vote, they must be in line at the polling place by 8 p.m.

Today is the last day to register or change addresses online, which can be done through your home state’s Secretary of State website.

If a student needs to register on Election Day, Mansfield Town Hall Council Chamber will offer same-day registration, though it may take longer than registering online. The town hall is located at 4 South Eagleville Rd. in Storrs, according to the Conn. Secretary of State website

Daniela Marulanda is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at daniela.marulanda@uconn.edu.