Former UConn employee arrested for threatening to shoot up workplace

Former UConn employee Susan Tash was arrested over the summer and charged for threatening statements towards her department.  Photo by    Bill Oxford    on    Unsplash

Former UConn employee Susan Tash was arrested over the summer and charged for threatening statements towards her department. Photo by Bill Oxford on Unsplash

Former University of Connecticut purchasing agent Susan Tash was arrested over the summer and charged with disorderly conduct and second degree threatening after making statements about “shooting up” her workplace. 

“Tash had been making concerning statements regarding shooting up her workplace, due to recent disciplinary actions against her,” an August press release from UConn Police said. “Tash admitted to making such statements, explaining she understands how people could shoot up their workplace. Tash made threatening statements regarding the use of a firearm and other employees she works with.” 

Tash, 60, of East Hartford, was placed under arrest on Aug. 9, 2019 by UCPD and later resigned from UConn on Aug. 22, after being placed on paid administrative leave on Aug. 12. 

A “fact finding interview” to discuss Tash’s “problematic attendance, tartiness, excessive breaks and performance issues” was scheduled by the Office of Faculty and Staff Labor Relations, but was delayed because of the report of the remarks, said OFSLR Director Keith Hood.

“The fact finding was rescheduled to include inquiry about the problematic remarks. However, Ms. Tash resigned before the fact finding was held so the fact finding was cancelled,” Hood said. “If she had not resigned we would have asked her if she made the remarks as part of the fact finding.”

Additionally, Tash violated Rule I of the General Rules of Conduct for UConn employees, the letter said.   

Rule I is “falsifying any time card, attendance report, or other University record or giving false information to anyone whose duty it is to make such record,” the letter said.  

On August 22, Tash, Hood, Matthew Larson and Patricia Williams, Tash’s union representative, signed Tash’s resignation agreement.  As part of such, Tash will not accept future employment with UConn, or the state of Connecticut, and is prohibited from contact with the UConn Procurement Department. 

“I question whether or not she should have been arrested ... but I agree that she resigned,” third-semester student Thomas Longo said.  

Tash was still listed on the UConn Procurement Services staff page until this week. Her former position, “Purchasing Agent I,” is now empty. 

Tash plead not guilty to both charges: Disorderly conduct, a class C misdemeanor and second degree threatening, a class A misdemeanor. 

Tash was released from custody on a $2,500 non-surety bond and is due back in Rockville Superior Court on Oct. 1. 

Luke Hajdasz is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.