‘Gilmore Girls – A Year in the Life’ review

Screenshot of a "Gilmore Girls" episode. (Screenshot/Vimeo)

After nine years of being off-air, the dynamic mother-daughter duo, Lorelai and Rory Gilmore, return in a Netflix special that brings the same laughter and tears everyone loves.

The show is a bit cliché with a few classic dramatic plot twists, but it feels like home to anyone who spent seven years watching the romance and Friday night dinners of the Gilmore Girls or three weeks binge-watching the classic in preparation for the revival.

Though only four episodes long, each is 90 minutes. The episodes span the seasons of the year, beginning with winter in the tiny town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut.

We pick up with Rory, now 32-years-old and working as a freelance journalist, after we watched her graduate from Chilton private high school and then the Ivy League’s Yale.

All the while Lorelai is living with Luke in Stars Hollow and still working at the Dragonfly Inn.

Familiar faces pop-up everywhere in the small town like Kirk and his pig, Lane, and the town’s kooky leader, Taylor.

The girls go about their days overflowing with coffee, junk food and pop culture references as if the hiatus never even happened.

The biggest surprise of the winter is the untimely death of Richard Gilmore, the patriarch of the witty and wealthy family.

Each of the Gilmore girls, including the snotty Emily Gilmore, is shown grieving and processing the loss in their own way, ultimately coming to terms with his death.

During spring Lorelai attends therapy with her mother, surely another element I never saw coming.

Rory is dating a forgettable man, Pete, or Paul or something, while also visiting an old boyfriend in London while working on writing a book proposal for a drunken feminist.

Lorelai and Luke, still not married, look into surrogacy and again we see Paris, the neurotic and competitive classmate from Rory’s alma maters.

Over the seasons guest stars like Rachel Ray and Ray Wise visit, and we see reappearances from the beloved cool dad, Christopher, and the sassy French man, Michel.

The age difference is obvious in the new wrinkles on the actors’ faces and the lack of emotion on the actresses, but the feelings of absurdity and hilarity are the same.

In the summer, Rory becomes editor of the Stars Hollow Gazette and tries to roll with her complicated affair with the stunning Logan Huntzberger.

Lorelai joins a committee to bring more tourism to Stars Hollow through a historical musical with one too many songs and eye-rolls.

In the final season of fall, Lorelai and Luke tie the knot after she takes an out-of-character hiking trip to California. Emily Gilmore finally shirks her stuffy house-wife act and sells the Hartford mansion to move to Nantucket.

The Life and Death Brigade return to Rory’s life along with a visit from Dean and Sookie.

The youngest Gilmore girl starts a new book focused on the pair’s unique lifestyle and a personal journey that shows she’s more like her mother than ever.

I don’t think I’m the only one who hopes there will be a second revival next year so we can see more of Luke, Lorelai, Rory and, hopefully, a baby girl.

Francesca Colturi is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at francesca.colturi@uconn.edu.