New app helps college students in addiction recovery find sober roommates

A screenshot of mysoberroommate.com's home page. Student's can select whether they need a room or have a room to fill, and create their own account. (Screenshot/MySoberRoommate)

MySoberRoommate has now launched an accompanying iOS app of the same name. MySoberRoomate is a website launched this past summer to help college students in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction anonymously find roommates who are also sober.

Emily Churg, a licensed clinical social worker, made the app with co-creator Jesse Sandler, a Los Angeles based addiction therapist. Sandler was inspired to create the site after seeing many of his recovering clients struggle to find sober roommates, something Sandler says is very important in the recovery process.

“After getting clean, returning to your old toxic living environment, living with people who are actively using, or living alone, can all set you up for relapse. Having a support network at home can make a huge difference in helping you stay on track. This is especially true for college students, because of the prevalence of drugs and alcohol on campuses,” Sandler said.

Both the app and the website are free to use and allow users to anonymously search for nearby prospective roommates and then contact them through MySoberRoommate’s messaging system.

University of Connecticut students in recovery from, or hoping to begin recovery from, drug or alcohol addictions can find relevant resources at the UConn Recovery Community. Weekly meetings are held every Wednesday at 5 p.m. in Wilson 126, according to URC’s website.

Oliver Peabody is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at oliver.peabody@uconn.edu.