October movie recommendations to get you in the spooky mood

Whether planning a ~creppy~ date or just want to spend some time getting into the Halloween spirit, there are ~spoopy~ movies of every genre to fill your October nights.

Romantic Come(die)

The official movie poster of "Warm Bodies." (Mohamed F. Abu Alia/Flickr Creative Commons)

“Warm Bodies”: This post-apocalyptic movie tells the story of a cold-hearted boy and blonde girl he saves from definite danger. The only problem is he is literally cold-hearted, and cold-blooded. He’s a zombie and this is the charming story how two people who were never meant to be together try to turn up the heat.

If you want to see more like this, try: “Zombieland” or “Practical Magic.”

(S)poop your Pants Scary

“Dead Silence”: Ever thought of how many angry and possessed puppets have been created within UConn’s walls? Probably not, but this scary flick about haunted ventriloquist dolls will have you scared to scream, let alone (s)poop.

More like this: “Insidious,” “The Exorcist,” “Paranormal Activity” and “House of Wax.”

“Hunger”: This twisted game came a few years before the Mockingjay, but you will not be disappointed. No one is engulfed in flames but the fierceness of hunger found in a dungeon of strangers and the pureness of insanity found in the controller of this hunger game makes this movie a must-see.

If you can handle more: “Shutter Island,” “Secret Window” and “Orphan.”

“It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown”: Honestly just gold.

“Coraline”: Most of the spooky animated movies of our generation are commonly seen, but Coraline seemed to premiere on the outskirts of popularity. A bit demented and a bit surprising, this movie is good for a new view of animated films.

A scene from "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown." (Werner Reischel/Flickr Creative Commons)

Other spooky cartoon classics: “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” “Corpse Bride” and, of course, “Casper.”

Classic Horror

“Halloween”: This might seem cliché but this title is very important to “slasher culture.” The creation of a masked stalker dueling with the innocent and clever girl is something you will see time and time again. This is where it began.

To understand more references and parodies also watch: “The Shining,” “Psycho” and “Silence of the Lambs.”

Classic Spooky

“Ghostbusters”: With the completely awesome new rendition of a girl-powered ghostbusters screening this year, you should really watch the original testosterone-charged (what’s new) classic with Bill Murray and some silly ghosts. It even features a massive man made of marshmallows.

Also very important classics: “Beetle Juice” and “Hocus Pocus.”

Parody Horror

“Dale and Tucker vs. Evil”: I recently found this gem on Netflix and could not have enjoyed myself more while watching. Two men find themselves in the middle of a slasher setting, yet nothing goes right and nothing is taken seriously. All the questions you’ve wanted to ask in a horror movie are addressed here.

Also get your jollies and your jeepers by watching: “Shaun of the Dead” and the “Scary Movie” series (though these do get a bit ridiculous).

Meta- Horror

“Scream”: The original “Scream” takes a deeper look inside horror without being completely silly like parody. The meta-horror genre takes you into a more satirical and ironic side of film and Scream takes a lot of cues from Halloween. So if you decided to watch a classic slasher, follow it up with this movie and enjoy thinking and connecting during a movie, rather than (s)pooping your pants.

For lack of many more to suggest, also try: “Cabin in the Woods,” it’s “out there,” but it has some subtle references and quite the plot twist.

Sci Fi

“Stranger Things”: I know this isn’t a movie, but try it out! It’s a brilliant Netflix series about an alternate dimension with a rowdy bunch of middle schoolers who have zero inhibitions. It’s a mix of the Goonies and the Twilight Zone.

Also try out: “Super 8,” “E.T.” and, if you like it weird, “Donnie Darko.”

A screenshot from the theme of "Stranger Things" created by The Duffer Brothers. Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Creative Commons. 

Memory Lane Halloween

“Halloweentown (1, 2 and 3)”: Honestly, I’m sure most of you have seen it but if you haven’t, welcome to American 90’s kids Halloween.

Also take a freaky flashback and watch my favorites: “Phantom of the Megaplex,” “My Mom’s Dating a Vampire” and “The Haunted Mansion.”

Francesca Colturi is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at francesca.colturi@uconn.edu.