ROAR hosts monthly reading event in Storrs Center

The ROAR program hosted its monthly reading event at the Barnes & Noble in Storrs Center last night. The reading series hosts writers to share work with local attendees, and this month, they hosted Dan Pope, Eleanor Reeds and Aimee Pozorski.

To open the night, Dan Pope read an excerpt from his first novel “Three Hours,” which he classified as a mystery novel with a focus in family drama. Pope attends Eastern Connecticut State University, where he is majoring in English and History.

Pope read two excerpts from his novel, which are both set in a post-recession America. Martial law has been instituted in many states, and is progressively taking over more and more of the country. The book is set in Providence, Rhode Island – one of the areas where martial law has not yet been imposed – yet the possibility is looming that it may be soon enough. In the midst of all this chaos, domestic terrorism has become a large issue, as the community fights to keep peace and order.

The first excerpt from this reading centers around the discovery of the body of a young girl, found among one of the craters made in the wake of a domestic terrorism attack. Pope’s stellar use of imagery paints a creative illustration of the detectives attending to the scene, while simultaneously alluding to a scene not fully explained. The detectives seem to be missing some sort of detail in the situation, one which might explain this mysterious death.

The next excerpt follows one of the detectives taking in the homeless young girl who found the body originally, for fear that she might also become a victim of the same crime. It is set two months into the future, and although some context is missing, it just continues to add to the overall mysterious happenings of the storyline. The excerpt ends abruptly when the detective subtly mentions the death of the young girl, without any clarification of why or how.

Next to take the stage was Eleanor Reeds, who read a selection of her poetry. Reeds is a doctoral candidate at UConn in the department of English. Reeds read her poems “Remodeling Decisions,” “Band Wife,” “Clingfeld,” “The Objection of Woman” and finally “Somebody Loves us All.”

Reeds’ work was extremely personal and empowering in nature. Overall, her work exhibited her feminist values, and how society’s gender-based impositions have affected her experiences. This is particularly evident in her piece “The Objection of Woman,” which is a sprawling narrative of the expectations the speaker feels have been hurled at her.

Lastly, Aimee Pozorski read her own selection of confessional poems. Pozorski shared three poems with the audience, each regarding some form of loss. Since they were largely founded in her adolescence, yet written from her perspective within the past few years, there was an understandable amount of nostalgia in her work.

Dedicated to her two grandmothers, as well as Prince, these poems came to life with a mourning, yet retrospective positivity once read under Pozorski’s charismatic tone. There were moments where the crowd laughed, there were moments where it was tough to listen; but there was never a moment where she didn’t have everyone’s full attention.

ROAR will be hosting their next reading on Dec. 5, where Emily Lyons, Meghan Evans and Jeremy Schwartz will be sharing some of their work. Emily Lyons, from Southern Connecticut State University taught creative writing for a few years, and is currently in the works of publishing her first novel. Meghan Evans got her BA in English and Creative Writing from Trinity college, and is now a professor at Central Connecticut State University. Finally, Jeremy Schwartz is Rabbi who translates Hebrew literature and specializes in poetry.

Christopher Mueller is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.mueller@uconn.edu.