University Senate supports making UConn a sanctuary city

UConn's University Senate discusses and passes a resolution that would make UConn into a sanctuary city during their monthly meeting on Dec. 5, 2016. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut’s University Senate passed a motion in support of a bill by the Undergraduate Student Government to work towards establishing UConn as a sanctuary city.

The bill establishes that the university, including administration and the police department, will not comply with federal immigration law in the event that deportations occur when president-elect Donald Trump takes office in January.

USG president Dan Byrd coauthored the bill and is a member of University Senate’s Senate Executive Committee. Byrd said he wanted University Senate as well as the Graduate Student Senate to show support for the bill.

“When all three (senates) engage, the administration responds very differently,” Byrd said.

Byrd said GSS will be voting whether to support the bill on Wednesday, and expects the motion to pass.

Dr. Mark Boyer is the chair of the Senate Executive Committee, which brought the motion to University Senate to support the USG bill. Boyer sent an email thanking his committee for showing their support to the sanctuary city.

The UConn Police Department has recently been informed not to ask students about the immigration status, Byrd said.

“There’s already progress being made,” Byrd said.

Byrd said he doesn’t think anything would change drastically if UConn was established as a sanctuary city.

“It’s just kind of a reaffirmation that the university supports its students,” Byrd said.

Schae Beaudoin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at schae.beaudoin@uconn.edu.