Volleyball: Datti makes history as Huskies win Bucknell Tournament, improve to 5-3

By Elan-Paolo DeCarlo, Campus Correspondent

The UConn women’s volleyball team finished a dominant weekend in Pennsylvania with a win Sunday to clinch the 2014 Bucknell Tournament. With their victory over Bucknell, the Huskies completed a perfect weekend. UConn improves to 5-3 on the season. 

The Huskies needed only two victories over the weekend to win the tournament. In their first match on Saturday against Cornell, UConn rolled to a 3-0 victory. Senior captain Brianna Datti made history in the first set, becoming just the 11th player in UConn history to record 1,000 career digs. She finished the match with a team high 12 digs. Offensively, UConn’s entire lineup performed tremendously. Juniors Erika Thomas and Immanuella Anagu contributed 13 kills and a service ace as well as 11 kills respectively. Rebecca Rivera and Sage Esposito split the setting duos and combined for 33 assists. The match was a blowout, with the Huskies winning 25-12, 25-19, and 25-23. 

On Sunday, UConn played the tournament hosts, Bucknell. The Huskies jumped out to an early one set advantage, taking the opener 27-25. Bucknell rallied to take the second, but that was all they would win. UConn took the third and fourth sets to clinch the tournament, winning them 25-23 and 25-17.

Rebecca Rivera again played a great game, notching a double-double with 25 assists and 11 digs. The Huskies recorded 56 kills, with Devon Maugle leading with 14. Immanuella Anagu continued her excellent season tallying five block assists and a solo block. 

As the Huskies move toward the conference portion of their schedule, winning this tournament bodes well. Results from the installation of coach Kris Grunwald’s defensive system are quickly showing. The Huskies will next be in action over the weekend, as they host a tournament where they will play Hofstra, Bryant and Columbia.