Football: Huskies travel to UMass, 2020 schedule released 

0
8

The UConn football team has a real chance to win this weekend as they head to Massachusetts to take on the 1-5 Minutemen.  Photo by Eric Wang / The Daily Campus

The UConn football team has a real chance to win this weekend as they head to Massachusetts to take on the 1-5 Minutemen. Photo by Eric Wang / The Daily Campus

The UConn football team heads to Amherst this weekend to take on the UMass Minutemen, and they are – if you can believe it – favorites. They’re favorites by 10 points according to ESPN, as the battle of the two 1-6 teams is the Huskies’ best chance to win for the rest of the year. 

The Minutemen are ranked No. 129 out of 130 in the CBS Sports College Football 130 rankings, only ahead of Akron. There’s a reason for that, as Akron is the only team that UMass actually beat, defeating them 37-29 on Sept. 28. Since their victory over Akron, UMass got blown out by Florida International (FIU) 44-0 and Louisana Tech 69-21. 

UConn meanwhile is ranked No. 123, just behind New Mexico and ahead of Old Dominion, South Alabama, Rice, UTEP and New Mexico State. The Huskies are coming off a 24-17 loss to Houston that extended their losing streak to 6 and their FBS losing streak to 22. 

Last season, UConn fell to UMass 22-17 at home, making it just the fourth time in their last 10 matchups that UMass came out on top. 

Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m., as the Huskies will look to rain on UMass’ homecoming parade. 

However, while this is important, the far more interesting news is the release of UConn football’s schedule for the 2020 season, the majority of which was revealed on Thursday, first reported by Mike Anthony of the Hartford Courant. 

The schedule includes games against some fellow northeast opponents like UMass and Maine, and also some games against Power Five schools like Ole Miss, Virginia, Indiana and Illinois. The remaining announced games will be against San Jose State, Army and Liberty. 

After UConn’s 2020 schedule was partially released, fans and players alike are excited for big games to be played at Rentschler.  Photo by Eric Wang / The Daily Campus

After UConn’s 2020 schedule was partially released, fans and players alike are excited for big games to be played at Rentschler. Photo by Eric Wang / The Daily Campus

In order to make the schedule, Anthony reported that athletic director David Benedict broke up existing matchups so UConn could play each team, which included: Liberty vs. Virginia, San Jose State vs. Army and Ole Miss vs. an unknown group of five FBS teams. Anthony wrote that two more games will come from the same method. 

Of the nine announced games, the contests vs. UMass, Indiana, Liberty, Army and Maine will all take place at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, while the other four games will be on the road.  

Alex Putterman of the Hartford Courant reported that UConn will have games vs. Army in 2021, ‘22 and ‘27, San Jose State in 2028, Liberty in 2023 and likely Middle-Tennessee in 2020.  

The university said the remaining three games “will be announced shortly,” according to an email from Pat McKenna, the associate director of athletics for athletic communications. When those are announced, so will the dates for the Maine and Virginia games, which are currently to be announced. 

Jorge Eckardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at Jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu. He tweets @jorge_eckardt31.