Husky on the Road: A winter day on the beach  

0
2

On this Sunday afternoon in early March, I visited Penfield Beach in Fairfield, Connecticut. My parents had their wedding reception in the pavilion many years ago, and if I squint hard enough, I can almost see them dancing.  Photos provided by author.

On this Sunday afternoon in early March, I visited Penfield Beach in Fairfield, Connecticut. My parents had their wedding reception in the pavilion many years ago, and if I squint hard enough, I can almost see them dancing. Photos provided by author.

The ocean is my comfort place. Walking on the sand, bundled in a thick sweater and coat, hearing nothing but the sound of the waves and the wind. This is where I regain clarity, motivation and peace of mind.  

Visiting the beach in winter is nothing like visiting on a warm summer day. The sun isn’t strong, the crowds of matching umbrellas are gone and the water is absolutely freezing. But I have come to find that it serves its own purpose.  

On this Sunday afternoon in early March, I visited Penfield Beach in Fairfield, Connecticut. My parents had their wedding reception in the pavilion many years ago, and if I squint hard enough, I can almost see them dancing.  

From a young age, I loved the swings, and I still do. Pumping high above the water, into the sky, truly feels like flying. The gulls are still here, curious about my presence. They like having the place to themselves. The picnic tables are a great place to do some writing. I brought my journal and a pen, eager to scribble down any inspiration.  

Most of all, I just like walking. The beach appears to go on forever, and I follow the water’s edge until my feet get tired, fingers numb from collecting jingle shells along the way.  

Besides Penfield Beach, there are many other great beaches near Connecticut to visit this winter. A few locations not too far from UConn include Ocean Beach in New London, Connecticut; Watch Hill in Westerly, Rhode Island; and East Wharf Beach in Madison, Connecticut.  

Bundle up, as the beach is always windy, which makes it quite chilly! I suggest you bring a blanket if you plan on sitting in the sand. It’s also a fun idea to bring a thermos of hot cocoa! You will definitely have a memorable experience with friends or on your own. The beach is a great place to make memories.  

Kate Luongo is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kate.luongo@uconn.edu