UCONNIC Student Opener Applications are available

0
6

SUBOG is looking for two performers for the next UCONNIC music festival. Students are encouraged to apply through the online application until March 11.  Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

SUBOG is looking for two performers for the next UCONNIC music festival. Students are encouraged to apply through the online application until March 11. Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

University of Connecticut students can apply to be one of UCONNIC’s two student performers until March 11 at noon, said Ross Bodington, Student Union Board Of Governors music relations chair and a sixth-semester management major.  

Any UConn student or group with original music can apply, Bodington said. The online application said “any student musician, DJ, rapper, band, singer and anyone in between is welcome to apply.”

“We think that it is important to showcase the talent and skill that our fellow classmates 

here at UConn have,” Bodington said. “We also found that not only is this a great platform for students to shine, but it also affords much more flexibility to us as organizers.” 

Students can apply by filling out the online application which can be found on the UCONNIC and SUBOG Instagram bio lines, Bodington said. Their handles are @uconnicmusicfest and @subogatuconn.  

The only qualifications required are that the group be only UConn students and that they have around 15 minutes of original music, Bodington said. The groups can be of any musical genre.  

Once applications close, the concert committee will have a preliminary selection to determine the top five groups, Bodington said. These groups will perform at a live event. The crowd reaction and committee member thoughts will determine the two groups.  

By having two student performers, Bodington said it helps round out the music festival atmosphere.  

“We actually have had two performers and a house DJ for the past two years,” he said. “We just 

found that this is a perfect balance of helping to create the ‘music festival’ vibe with a larger lineup, while still keeping the focus on the headliner and the later acts.”  

The date for UCONNIC 2020 has yet to be determined.  

Rachel Philipson is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.