Classes suspended after spring break, instruction to continue online

0
9

02/27/19 Health Services Building by Julie Spillane. UConn is moving to online classes in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.

University of Connecticut president Thomas Katsouleas announced on Wednesday night via email that in-person classes at the Storrs campus, regional campuses and School of Law will be suspended starting March 23 through at least April 6, with classes continuing online. 

Katsouleas added the provost and deans will work with faculty in each department to develop individualized plans for students who have labs, internships, clinical rotations and other non-transferrable academic activities.  

Students are encouraged to remain home at the conclusion of spring break, but those who do not have an alternative option will work directly with Residential Life to make accommodations. The Recreational Facility will be closed as well as several other facilities, but dining halls and other essential areas will remain open, Katsouleas said.  

Beginning March 14, employees at Storrs, regional campuses and the School of Law who are able to work from home should prepare to do so with the approval of their supervisor. Also beginning March 14, there are to be no events larger than 100 attendees allowed on any campus, including but not limited to meetings, performances and assemblies, Katsouleas said.  

Intercollegiate athletic competitions may continue, but no specators are permitted, per updated NCAA guidelines. 

Katsouleas acknowledged there will be several questions in the coming days and the administration is preparing to tackle these concerns by creating extensive Q&A documents to release to the public. There will also be a virtual town hall today at 12 p.m. where Katsouleas and several other administrators will address questions. Those interested can RSVP through the provided online link.

Katsouleas stressed the decisions made by the university were not easy, but were made with consideration for federal and state government recommendations and an overall concern for the community welfare. 

“The health and well-being of our community is always our highest priority,” Katsouleas said. “During extraordinary times, such as the current global pandemic, we need to support that primary obligation while doing our best to carry out our academic mission.” 

This is a developing story.  

Taylor Harton is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at taylor.harton@uconn.edu.