Healing Through Poetry

0
1

UConn Poetic Release is an on campus club dedicated to poetry. UConn Poetic Release is working with UConn Collaborative Organizing to host ‘Healing Through Poetry.’  @ucpoeticrelease

UConn Poetic Release is an on campus club dedicated to poetry. UConn Poetic Release is working with UConn Collaborative Organizing to host ‘Healing Through Poetry.’ @ucpoeticrelease

UConn Poetic Release and UConn Collaborative Organizing (UCCO) unapologetically showed that poetry can be applied to so much more than just poetry. These two groups came together to host “Healing Through Poetry,” a two-part event in which students come together to showcase art that they have written to very vibrant, warm-hearted students. The first event was a workshop, held on Wednesday evening at the Chemistry Building, and the second will be performances for all of UConn. 

During the workshop of Healing Through Poetry, poets showed off their talents and impressed their listeners. Students came together in the Chemistry Building to speak on struggles they face day to day, whether they be social or personal, to express what healing is, as well as mental health and why it is so important.  

“Community healing is activism, and artistic expression is cathartic,” Katharine Morris, the president of UCCO, said. “It is a moment for people to connect, and fosters a sense of love, warmth and empathy.”  

Mar Palaez, the president of UConn Poetic Release, said that both UCCO and Poetic Release wanted to use poetry to talk about mental health issues around campus. 

“This was specifically geared towards anyone who is engaged in on-campus activism,” Palaez added. 

This event coincides perfectly with what is happening currently in UConn, with midterms, as well as the world. This is a breath of fresh air for the community of UConn. Maria Lopez, a supportive member of Poetic Release, it was “magic.”  

“These workshops and clubs for a lot of people, is a major source of joy, relief, and expression,” Aner Bajraktarević, vice president of Poetic Release, said. “If we are going to talk about healing through art and poetry, there is no better place to be.” 

The second part of Healing Through Poetry will be taking place today at the Benton Art Museum from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. where students can enjoy some poetry, look at exhibits and relax, if only for a moment. 

Lesly Nerette is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lesly.nerette_jr@uconn.edu.