‘How to talk about race’ community event to be held in Mansfield

0
1

Conversations on Racism in Mansfield (COR) is hosting a “how to talk about race” community event on Tuesday, March 17 at 6:30 p.m. in the Mansfield Public Library.  

The free community event will be facilitated by the National Council for Community Justice (NCCJ) and is sponsored by COR Mansfield, E.O Smith High School, the Town of Mansfield and Mansfield Public Schools. 

“The mission of this group is to create safe spaces for discussion of race and identity and the many ways in which these issues affect all of us,” Jane Fried, a member of COR Mansfield said. “COR wants to support efforts to enhance community conversation on this topic.”  

Fried said the purpose is to explore the implications of socialization and how it affects beliefs about race and personal relationships.  

“We hope that people who attend will learn how to talk about race by practicing some effective communication skills involving both listening and speaking,” Fried said. “We hope that people will become less uncomfortable in discussing these issues and learn more about their history and context.”  

Students can register for this free event on the Mansfield website under the form center.  

Naiela Suleiman is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at naiela.suleiman@uconn.edu