A skunk lost in the vents at McMahon  

0
5

Students living in McMahon residence halls reported a strong skunk smell in the building at the University of Connecticut last Thursday. The smell persisted throughout the week in the main area in front of McMahon dining hall and lobby.  Photo by Avery Bikerman / The Daily Campus

Students living in McMahon residence halls reported a strong skunk smell in the building at the University of Connecticut last Thursday. The smell persisted throughout the week in the main area in front of McMahon dining hall and lobby. Photo by Avery Bikerman / The Daily Campus

Students living in McMahon residence halls reported a strong skunk smell in the University of Connecticut building last Thursday. 

“This was called in to us late last week, and we sent our pest control contractor to investigate,” Stephanie Reitz, UConn spokesperson said. “He noted that the smell of skunk was very strong, and did a very comprehensive search looking for the source. He put a trap nearby, and put in deodorizers.” 

The smell has persisted throughout the week in the main area in front of McMahon dining hall.  

“Early this week he responded again and noted that the smell has dissipated a little bit, but did leave another deodorizer and we had custodial respond to clean the area,” Reitz said.  

Crystal Ferreira, an eighth-semester cognitive science major who works the main desk in McMahon, said the smell has been strong all week in the main lobby.  

“Last Thursday when we came into work, we assumed a skunk died in the vents because the smell is everywhere,” Ferreira said. “We have been trying to figure out where the smell is coming from because you don’t smell it inside the dining hall but its strong right outside the dining hall.”  

Since the smell started, workers have been checking the vents in McMahon on a daily basis, Ferreira said.  

“We thought about the suggestion of the skunk still being alive but the smell hasn’t moved and a skunk won’t stay in one spot for a week,” Ferreira said. “The smell is very centralized in the main lobby right here next to the dining hall.”  

Grace Brangwynne, a fourth-semester political science major, said the smell still lingers but has dissipated a lot.  

“It’s not that bad up in the rooms but once you get down to the lobby it hits you,” Brangwynne said. “I also think it makes us look a bit unclean in terms of the prospective students and students considering going here.” 

Brangwynne said that the campus tours that stop in McMahon should have been relocated while the smell was dissipating.   

“I just think it makes our facilities look a little unhealthy and unsanitary,” Brangwynne said. “I definitely know that’s not what the staff means to portray but I definitely think there are other routes that don’t involve McMahon where you can still see some sort of dining area on campus.”  

Naiela Suleiman is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at naiela.suleiman@uconn.edu