Neag recognized as a top public graduate school of education

0
2

The Neag School of Education at the University of Connecticut has been named a top-20 public graduate school in education by U.S. News and World Report for the fifth straight year.

Neag tied for No. 18 in terms of public universities and tied for No. 37 overall with the University of Georgia.

The results (edu-rankings) list Harvard University as the top education school for 2021.

The Neag School of Education at the University of Connecticut has been named a top-20 public graduate school in education by U.S. News and World Report for the fifth straight year.  File photo/The Daily Campus

The Neag School of Education at the University of Connecticut has been named a top-20 public graduate school in education by U.S. News and World Report for the fifth straight year. File photo/The Daily Campus

“The Neag School remains steadfast in its commitment to improving education and social systems to be more effective, equitable and just for all,” Neag Dean Gladis Kersaint said. “We take great pride in our faculty scholars, who continue to pursue important research issues while shaping the next generation of top-tier educators and leaders, independent of external rating scales. That, together with the enthusiasm of our students and the achievements of our alumni worldwide, is a rewarding reminder of what our mission means to the future of education.”

Sixth-semester elementary education major and Neag School student Sheila Higgins is an undergraduate who hopes to do her graduate studies at UConn.

“Neag is great, because we are thrown right into a classroom where we go weekly,” Higgins said. “You can only learn so much about teaching on paper, and I have learned so much in my third and first grade classrooms.”

In addition to the school’s overall success, Neag’s specialty programs in special education and elementary teacher education were recognized in the report. The special education program was listed at No. 12 and the elementary teacher education program tied for the No. 25 spot.

Neag offers a total of 23 specific program paths like special education or elementary teacher education, according to the school’s fact sheet. The school has 866 graduate students and 329 undergraduate students.

Luke Hajdasz is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.