The Return of Instagram Trends: How users are staying entertained ‘until tomorrow’

0
1
exc-5e812e44d6fbed7437014447

A photo of someone prancing around wearing a unicorn mask. ‘Until Tomorrow’ is the latest Instagram trend, where users post embarrassing photos of themselves.  Photo by    Andrea Tummons    on    Unsplash

A photo of someone prancing around wearing a unicorn mask. ‘Until Tomorrow’ is the latest Instagram trend, where users post embarrassing photos of themselves. Photo by Andrea Tummons on Unsplash

With everyone having to stay at home and social distance themselves, it’s no surprise that people have become bored to the point that social media has seen a recent surge in trends. 

Instagram has had the most trends circulating amongst users, the most popular and cryptic of which is the “Until Tomorrow” fad. It involves users posting embarrassing photos of themselves with the mysterious caption, “until tomorrow.” The way it works is if you like someone’s “until tomorrow” post, you get messaged saying that you have to participate in the trend and post embarrassing photos of yourself with the same caption and do the same to other people, continuing the trend. At the time of publication, the hashtag #untiltomorrow has over 1.9 million posts.

Most other Instagram trends have emerged in the form of Instagram stories, one of them being the “10 Beautiful Women” challenge where any woman would post a photo of themselves on their story and tag 10 other women to partake in the challenge in order to spread positivity to each other. Another popular challenge is the “See 10, Do 10” challenge that has tagged users drop everything they’re doing and do 10 pushups and tag another 10 people to do the same.

Another trend that has popped up is the “Quarantine Songs” challenge where users post a song they’ve been listening to a whole lot and tag friends to do the same. There have even been challenges where people simply draw an orange or an egg using the coloring tools on Instagram stories and tag other users to try their hand at drawing, which makes for some funny and cute final products. The #SeeAPupSendAPup challenge has users posting photos of their cute dogs and tagging more people to do the same. 

Creatives on Instagram have had some of their own Instagram challenges which include the black and white photo challenge, where photographers share their favorite black and white photo on their feed and tag other photographers to partake in it. Another challenge was one where users would react to someone’s story with a fire emoji, and the original poster would share the most beautiful post from each user’s Instagram on their story and encourage other users to do the same.

Instagram even started a #stayhome trend and created a sticker that people could add to their stories which would then be lumped into a mass collection of stories encouraging people to stay home and continue social distancing to help reduce the spread of the coronavirus.

Despite all of these trends being a byproduct of absolute boredom, it’s fun to see how creative people can get on social media in an effort to stay connected to each other and maintain an online presence. Even though most of these trends have died down by now, it’ll be interesting to see what kind of challenges and trends users will come up with next.

Brandon Barzola is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at brandon.barzola@uconn.edu.