Men’s Basketball: URI guard Tyrese Martin to transfer to UConn

0
1
exc-5e8d10a27935fa74f97d39c0

UConn men’s basketball secured a new recruit Tuesday as guard Tyrese Martin announced he was transferring from Rhode Island, where he was recruited by UConn head coach Dan Hurley. He will need a transfer waiver from the NCAA in order to play next season, or else he’ll have to sit out his junior season.  Photo courtesy of    @Dreambig_04    on Twitter

UConn men’s basketball secured a new recruit Tuesday as guard Tyrese Martin announced he was transferring from Rhode Island, where he was recruited by UConn head coach Dan Hurley. He will need a transfer waiver from the NCAA in order to play next season, or else he’ll have to sit out his junior season. Photo courtesy of @Dreambig_04 on Twitter

After entering the transfer portal in March, former Rhode Island guard Tyrese Martin announced he will transfer to UConn. Initially recruited by Dan Hurley before he accepted the Huskies’ head coaching job, Martin will reunite with Hurley in Storrs.

“I cashed out many times after betting on myself!,” Martin tweeted. “This just another one waiting to happen. 100% COMMITTED #GOHUSKIES.” 

Martin, a 6-foot-6 wing, joins Brendan Adams as former URI Rams turned Huskies. Adams de-committed from Rhode Island and came to UConn with Hurley in 2018. 

“I would only leave Rhode Island for an elite program like UConn,” the Allentown, PA. native told Evan Daniels of 247 Sports. “The pros and national championships were too much to turn down. I left a great program for an elite program.” 

Martin played in 63 games at URI and started in 49 between his freshman and sophomore seasons. Last year, the athletic guard started in all 30 Rams games, scoring 12.8 points and grabbing 7.1 rebounds while shooting 43.3%. He is a career 31.7% shooter from 3-point range. 

Martin fills one of the two available scholarships following the departures of guard Alterique Gilbert (Wichita State) and forward Sid Wilson (transfer portal). He will need an NCAA transfer waiver in order to play as a junior. If deemed eligible, he will immediately compete for minutes with Tyler Polley and Akok Akok rehabbing from season-ending surgeries.

Related Content:

Men’s Basketball: UConn draws Tulane in first round of AAC tourney

Men’s Basketball: Guards Brendan Adams and Tarin Smith join program

Kevin Arnold is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu. He tweets @karnold98.