Asian Beat: ukewithnix

0
3

The author posing with Nix at a meet and greet event at UConn in 2018. Ukewithnix began her music career with covers on Youtube. Her simple covers are easy to vibe with and are sure to lift anyone’s spirits.  Photo provided by author.

The author posing with Nix at a meet and greet event at UConn in 2018. Ukewithnix began her music career with covers on Youtube. Her simple covers are easy to vibe with and are sure to lift anyone’s spirits. Photo provided by author.

Lately, the weather has been rainy during the day and slightly melancholy at night for me. I’m trying to rediscover my love for art, and a lot of the time, my art is influenced by music. I prefer a stripped-down sound when it gets closer to midnight, and ukewithnix fits perfectly. With just her voice and ukulele, the singer packs a punch.

I was first introduced to her when my friends in the Asian American Cultural Center were freaking out in 2018 when the University of Connecticut Filipino American Student Association was hosting an event on a Tuesday night in the Student Union Theater. This event in particular was a performance, meet and greet and Q & A session with Nix Tan, better known as uuuuuuuukewithme on YouTube. 

I was definitely the odd one out of the group, but when one of my friends played me her acoustic cover of “Superbass” by Nicki Minaj, I fell in love with her high, lilty yet sometimes sultry voice and impeccable uke playing. Oh, and that video has over 10 million views, further testament to how talented she is. For Digital:

For this 24-year-old singer, raised in both Malaysia and the United States, she really began to gain attention after the drop of that video. Her musical interests are wide-ranging, with pop, folk and hip hop tunes, due to her nomadic history, according to her Spotify biography. She has found a following beyond the United States in Asia as well. 

Her voice soars when she starts singing the main chorus of the song and makes me feel like I’m the girl next door.

“Boy you got my heartbeat runnin’ away / Beating like a drum and it’s coming your way / Can’t you hear that / Boom, badoom, boom, boom, badoom, boom, bass?”

A must-play for my acoustic playlist has been her mash-up of “Self Control / White Ferrari.”

When Nix starts singing “I’ll be your girlfriend in your wet dreams tonight” following a light, plucky sound, it’s perfect, and I felt that. The rest of the song, her voice croons through the whole piece and is wistful at some parts.

A lot of her sound sounds like an elevated version of singing in the shower; the acoustics fill out throughout every song she sings. As I mentioned earlier, every one of her songs reads as an innocent but not girl next door vibe. 

When I met her in the Student Union Theater that Tuesday night two years ago, I found her so endearing and down to earth. Her humbleness radiates as much as her smile, which is truly infectious. I instantly wanted to be her best friend. (Nix, if you’re reading this, I still want to be your best friend.) 

Nix has been posting covers on her Instagram as well, which are worth a listen. You can really see how into the music she is, the connection she feels and simply the raw talent she has. For

Recently, I discovered that Nix has a website called “uke garden” and a page for whatever mood you may be in. The moods are “dreams, water, colors, time, place and snacks.” Clicking on one gives you a short video playlist of Nix’s covers, with a link to the tabs and chords so you can try it at home. 

“This was the seed for starting uke.garden — a home on the internet for plant and music lovers alike. we think everyone deserves to have their own personal oasis, a place where they feel grounded and rooted,” according to the website. 

Even as I write this article on a Thursday, rainy morning, I’m listening to her soothing voice. Who knows, I might even order a ukulele at the end of the day to try my hand at being half the talented musician Nix Tan is.

Three Songs for Your Playlist:

1. Nothing

2. Self Control / White Ferrari 

3. Despacito – Ukulele Version 

Related Content:

Asian Beat: Haley Kiyoko

Asian Beat: Yuna

Kimberly Nguyen is the associate digital editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.