Online fitness and wellness opportunities for UConn students

0
1
exc-5e98f135e324377cc479ff08

The University of Connecticut is offering a plethora of activities for the physical and mental wellbeing of their students, including online group fitness classes from the instructors at the UConn Rec Center.  Photos courtesy of Avery Bikerman / The Daily Campus.

The University of Connecticut is offering a plethora of activities for the physical and mental wellbeing of their students, including online group fitness classes from the instructors at the UConn Rec Center. Photos courtesy of Avery Bikerman / The Daily Campus.

Although the university is physically closed, there are still many fitness and wellness resources that you can take advantage of virtually. All of the following programs are here to support students’ physical and mental health and are free to UConn students. 

UConn Rec Online Group Fitness Classes

You may already watch some workout channels on YouTube, but now your friendly and familiar UConn Rec fitness class instructors are posting their own videos! Though some classes can’t be replicated online, UConn Rec has done a great job of creating several different workout videos that bring the gym’s classes to your own home. There’s barre, HIIT, kickboxing, yoga and more. To sign up for a class, register as normal through UConn Rec’s website. You will be sent a confirmation email that has a link to the workout. The gym is also offering Instagram Live classes. 

Physical Activity Counseling (PAC)

Any UConn student can speak with a physical activity counselor for free. Going to PAC is a great way to understand your exercise needs and learn new, fun and effective workouts that you can do from home. During your initial appointment, you discuss your physical activity history and what sort of exercise program you are looking for. In a follow-up appointment, the physical activity counselor will send you some workouts and explain the exercises. UConn normally offers this service in-person but has made it virtual, so you can still sign up and learn more about how you can improve your physical activity. For more information about PAC, click here.

Nutrition Counseling 

Any UConn student can speak to a registered dietitian for free. Nutrition counseling helps students to get a better understanding of what a healthy diet looks like and how to achieve it in their own lives. The initial appointment assesses a student’s typical food intake, past dietary practices, and physical activity history. The dietitian will provide recommendations and resources for students to improve their nutrition, and students can also schedule a follow-up appointment. UConn normally offers this service in-person but has made it virtual, so you can still get an appointment and learn how to optimize your nutrition. For more information about nutrition counseling, click here.

Student Health and Wellness (SHaW) Online Weekly Wellness Sessions

While students are at home, SHaW continues to remain dedicated to providing students the care they need and teaching them how to stay healthy. SHaW is offering three weekly online sessions to promote student wellness. Meditation Mondays occur at 6 p.m. every Monday on Zoom. The link to the meeting can be found here. Wellness Wednesdays are interactive sessions that occur at 4 p.m. every Wednesday and focus on topics like stress reduction and remaining active at home. The link can be found here. Feel Good Fridays provide a space for students to connect and share what is going on with them. These sessions occur at 10-11:30 a.m. every Friday on Facebook.

SHaW — Mental Health (SHaW — MH)

SHaW — MH is continuing to offer appointments to students via online and phone platforms. Counselors at SHaW — MH understand that the current situation has caused big changes for everyone and that these changes are sometimes difficult to deal with. Speaking to a counselor can help students learn to cope with negative feelings brought on by recent events. Students can find more information about scheduling an appointment here. SHaW — MH also provides a page on managing mental health during the pandemic here.

No matter where you are, UConn is trying to help. With so many resources still available online, you can still feel supported in reaching your health goals even while the university is closed. 

Related Content:

New student recreation center opens Monday 

UConn students react to the new Rec Center 

Stephanie Santillo is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at stephanie.santillo@uconn.edu.