Asian Beat: The coda

0
2
exc-5eab4a795a552f7d243e8c55

Music is an amazing thing, connecting people to various cultures and acting as a platform for all artists to share their stories. Artists express their hardships, triumphs and everything in between with the hopes that their music will make that lasting impact on listeners.

This column may be reaching its coda, or conclusion if you will, but the power of music never will. 

There are not enough Asian artists getting the spotlight they deserve, and I truly believe that. I think that popular radio, whatever the definition of that is, should broaden the music they play and share the stories of the artists.

Mainstream American music should embrace Asian and Asian American artists as they are. These artists should not be labeled as trying to appropriate a music culture to “fit in.” Maybe an artist truly is a great DJ — they are not trying to “act” like a DJ.

All the Asian and Asian American artists I have written about here are changemakers in their own way. They have each beaten profound obstacles: In their families, their culture, their sexuality, their mental health and so much more. 

When writing and researching about these artists I came to learn there is so much more to these artists beyond the songs I enjoy listening to. They are truly artists, delving deep into themselves and making themselves vulnerable to their audience. 

Through music, I have found not only a connection with their cultures but also my own. I am still part of the breathing, changing Asian and Asian American diaspora. It repeats, pauses, has staccato, lyrics and repeating measures, just like the music I have had the pleasure of writing about for the past semester in this column.

I’m sad to be writing the last Asian Beat piece. I truly hope that as a reader, I’ve introduced you to some amazing artists that you love and that I have done justice to their stories. 

Music is only made popular through sharing. I found many of these songs through snippets friends have shared. Music sharing has a snowball effect. Although this column is ending, sharing great music will never stop and I hope more Asian, Asian American artists and many other underrepresented artists overall will have their music shared as they deserve all over the world. 

Related Content:

Asian Beat: Raveena

Asian Beat: beadadoobee

Kimberly Nguyen is the associate digital editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.