Women's Soccer: Huskies nab first conference win

UConn Women’s Soccer’s Kim Urbanek maintains control of the ball during a game against UCF on Sept. 30, 2018. (Nicholas Hampton/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s soccer team broke its six-game losing streak on Sunday as they defeated Cincinnati 4-0.  

After UConn’s heartbreaking loss to UCF earlier in the season head coach Margaret Rodriguez talked about her team’s tenacity. 

“Our team’s going to fight and bottom line is, it’s just going to take time but we’re fighters out there and that’s what I love,” Rodriguez said.  

That fight came out for the Huskies on Sunday when they recorded their first shutout of the season along with their first conference victory.  

UConn (3-11, 1-4 AAC) was scheduled to play ECU on Thursday last week, but the game was rescheduled to Oct. 28 because of Hurricane Michael, giving the Huskies an unintentional bye week.  

Sunday’s match was a big one for sophomore midfielder Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky. Danyko-Kulchycky already led the team in goals coming in but on Sunday she scored her first ever hat-trick. The last time a UConn player scored a hat-trick was in 2013 when Rachel Hill tallied three goals against Houston. By the half, UConn led 8-4 in shots.  

Less than three minutes after Danyko-Kulchycky’s third goal, freshman forward Pato Jerzak scored to put the Huskies up 4-0, their largest lead of the season.  

The match also marked the first career start for sophomore defender Kara Long.  

Next up, the Huskies will play Memphis on Thursday and Tulsa on Sunday. Those matches will be the last two the Huskies will play at Morrone Stadium, as the stadium is scheduled to be torn down at the end of this season. The team has played at Morrone since 1979.  

While the Huskies season so far may look bleak on paper, there is hope for the team’s future, Rodriguez said.  

“Our team is not giving up and I’m not giving up on them,” Rodriguez said. “I believe in them and we have to do better in the moments we have a chance to score and we got to figure out the net.”  

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.