Women’s Hockey: Huskies head to Chestnut Hill for third straight road game

The Huskies will hit the road Thursday for a matchup against a tough Boston College team. File Photo/The Daily Campus

On Thursday, the UConn women’s hockey team heads up to Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, to take on the Boston College Eagles in a Hockey East showdown.

The Huskies come into the game 5-3-1 (2-2-1 The American) and are coming off a dominant 7-0 victory over Union College. Sophomore forward Savannah Bouzide recorded a hat trick, and all seven of their goals came in the first or second period.

Meanwhile, the Eagles (7-2, 4-0 The American) are fresh off a 4-1 victory over Maine and are winners of seven straight games. Their only two losses came against Minnesota Duluth, who at the time was ranked No. 9 in the country.

Currently, the Eagles are ranked No. 5 in the USCHO.com and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls. Minnesota Duluth is ranked No. 7 in both.

The Huskies and the Eagles have played many of the same opponents so far this season, including Merrimack College. The Huskies fell to the Warriors, 3-1, while the Eagles defeated Warriors by the same score. Each team has beaten Holy Cross and Vermont, with UConn winning by a combined score of 11-4 and BC by a combined score of 8-1.

The Eagles have been led this season by junior forward Caitrin Lonergan and senior defenseman Megan Keller, who each have 10 points. However, it is sophomore forward Daryl Watts who leads the team in goals, with five.

This game against the Eagles will be the third straight road game for the Huskies, and head coach Chris MacKenzie noted the importance of winning these tough road matchups.

“If we want to be a good team, we’ll have to win some games on the road in tough environments,” MacKenzie said. “Every game presents a challenge and a chance to grow. Road games present matchup challenges and a new environment.”

This will be the first of three games for the Huskies this season against the Eagles, two of which will take place in Chestnut Hill. In fact, all three games will take place in November. They will play back-to-back games on the 16th and 17th.

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.