Women’s Hockey: Huskies show resilience against Maine

Brianna Colangelo jostles with a Black Bear during UConn’s game against Maine on Nov. 10, 2018. (Eric Wang/ The Daily Campus)

Coming off of two blowouts in a row against Boston College and Boston University, the UConn women’s hockey team needed a big win against Maine on Saturday to avoid dipping below .500 for the first time this season.

However, when the Black Bears (7-4) went up 1-0 less than four minutes into the first period, it looked like the Huskies were in store for another long game.

But they didn’t stop fighting and about 10 minutes later junior forward Leona Sim tied it up on an assist by Savannah Bouzide.

They scored two more goals in the second period and iced the game with one earlier in the third to beat a tough Maine squad 4-1.

Head coach Chris MacKenzie liked the resilience his team showed on Saturday all season.

“That’s been a calling card of our team, we respond pretty well, we come back with energy, and that was a good sign for our team,” MacKenzie said. “We need to continue to have that in our culture and the way we respond in games.”

This is the fourth time this season that the Huskies came back from a deficit to win the game, and the third time they have done so when the opposing team scored first.

Catherine Crawley, who scored one goal and assisted two more in the game, was also impressed with the resilience the team showed.

“I also thought that we responded really well, cause they scored first,” Crawley said. “We were able to stick to our game plan, keep pressure on them, and never get down on the bench. So that really helped us.”

Resilience was the story of the game, as not only did the Huskies come back and quadruple their goal total from the previous two games, they held the Black Bears scoreless for 56 minutes.

Jorge Eckardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.