Women’s Hockey: Huskies looking to bounce back in Nutmeg Classic

The UConn women’s hockey team will have an opportunity to improve their record today at 3 p.m. Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

The UConn women’s hockey team will compete in the 2018 Nutmeg Classic this weekend along with Quinnipiac, Yale and Providence.

The Huskies (6-7-1, 3-6-1 Hockey East) will be looking to bounce back after two straight losses to Boston College where they were outscored 7-0.

The first game of the weekend will take place on at 3 p.m. today, when the Huskies will take on Quinnipiac Bobcats.

The Bobcats, who are 3-7-3 so far this season, are led by sophomore Taylor House whose six points and five goals are the most on the team.

They have played a few of the same opponents as the Huskies, including losing twice to Maine and tying Vermont two times. UConn recorded wins against Maine (4-1) and Vermont (4-2).

Then on Saturday the Huskies will face either the Yale Bulldogs or the Providence Friars, depending on the results of their game and the one between the Bulldogs and Friars.

Yale is currently 2-6, with their only two victories coming against Union College and No.3 Clarkson University. The Huskies also played Union and beat them 7-0.

Forward Emma Vlasic leads the Bulldogs with eight points and five goals, while fellow forward Rebecca Vanstone is right behind with six points and four goals.

If the Huskies wind up playing Providence, they will have to pay extra attention to forward Maureen Murphy, whose 22 points (12 goals, 10 assists) lead the team by 10.

Providence is 10-2 this season and 7-1 in conference, currently sitting in third place in the Hockey East behind Northeastern and Boston College.

After the Nutmeg Classic, the Huskies have two more games left before the winter break, both against Providence. If UConn and Providence meet in the second round, then the teams will wind up playing three straight games vs. each other.

After the two games vs. Providence on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1, the Huskies will not have another game until Dec. 30.

Jorge Eckardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.