Mansfield Public Library participating in annual passport program

McCarthy said the Mansfield Public Library has several features that may draw visitors from elsewhere in the state. (Photo via http://mansfieldadvocatesforchildren.org)

The Mansfield Public Library will join over a hundred of other local state libraries for the annual Connecticut Library Passport Program.

The program allows Connecticut residents to receive a passport at their local library which they can bring when they visit other participating libraries throughout the state. The program is run by the Connecticut Library Association.

“It’s based on the same idea as the Connecticut Wine Trail,” Peggy McCarthy, Mansfield Public Library Adult Public Services Library representative, said. “It’s a way to get people in the door.”

The program will run from April 2 to April 30. Adults who visit at least five participating libraries will be entered to win $150 Visa gift card. Children who visit at least five locations will be entered for a drawing of a $100 Visa gift card. There will also be a drawing among the children and adults who visit the most libraries from each library.

McCarthy said 101 patrons of the Mansfield Public Library participated in 2016. The Library Passport Program’s Facebook page said over 8,000 visitors participated in 2016. The program did not run last year, McCarthy said.

The goal of the program is to encourage people to explore their local libraries, McCarthy said.

“Each library is unique and has different offerings,” McCarthy said. “We want people to know what’s available to them for free.”

McCarthy said the Mansfield Public Library has several features that may draw visitors from elsewhere in the state. The library has a seed library, a cakepan library and a tool library available for patrons to borrow from, McCarthy said.

“That’s really what makes us unique,” McCarthy said. “Plus our guinea pig and our birds.”

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.