NFL Column: Are GMs actually going crazy?

Cleveland Browns general manager John Dorsey, left, and Oakland Raiders head coach Jon Gruden chat during the NFL owners meetings, Monday, March 26, 2018 in Orlando, Fla. (Phelan M. Ebenhack/AP Images for NFL)

Maybe it’s me, but I simply do not understand half the moves either already made or rumored to be possible by NFL GMs this offseason. Again, maybe there’s a reason I’m not being paid millions of dollars by an NFL team to make franchise-changing decisions but some of this stuff doesn’t make any sense.

The New York Jets traded every asset imaginable to move on three spots from the sixth spot to the third. Moving up just three spots at that price might indicate the Jets are in the market for a franchise quarterback that they believe won’t still be on the board at six. That’s fine, but you just signed Teddy Bridgewater and still have an aging Josh McCown that played fairly well last season. This is by no means a crazy move, but it’s certainly one to raise an eyebrow at.

What WOULD be a crazy move would be a trade involving the Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. or New England’s Rob Gronkowski. That’s insane right? Those guys are cornerstone, franchise players. They have the skill to win you games single-handedly.

Well, somehow, both of these guys might be on the trading block.

Let’s start with the situation between New York and Beckham. The star wide receiver’s contract is expiring and the Giants are becoming less and less enthralled with the idea of paying Beckham big money. This is because of a few reasons. Beckham certainly has had his fair share of off-the-field issues, and even some behavioral on-the-field issues that the Giants probably don’t like. Secondly, it’s been reported that Beckham is looking for $20 million a season. That’s quarterback money, and a gigantic investment for any organization to make in a receiver.

But if it’s going to be any receiver, why not Beckham? He’s undoubtedly one of the best receivers in the world. The LSU product can turn a five-yard screen into a sixty-yard touchdown. He owns a multitude of Giants franchise records as well as league records. If the Giants are crazy enough to trade him, they better get a king’s ransom.

I would like to shift attention to another world-class athlete in Rob Gronkowski. Following the Super Bowl loss in February, Gronkowski said he was unsure about his future in football. The tight end has certainly had his fair share of injury problems in his eight years with the Patriots. There have been reports that Gronkowski is worn out both mentally and physically in New England and on the flipside, head coach Bill Belichick is reportedly growing tired of Gronkowski’s antics on social media.

Other teams would be foolish to not start inquiring on Gronkowski. In my opinion he’s the best tight end to ever play in the NFL. And given Belichick’s track record of trading big name players, it’s not out of the realm of possibility. Albert Breer of The MMQB reported that multiple teams plan to place calls regarding the availability of the twenty-eight year old tight end.

Who said the offseason wasn’t entertaining?

Connor Donahue is the digital editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.