State trooper killed in tractor-trailer crash

Calling hours will be held on Thursday, April 5 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and a second time from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., at Pratt and Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field, according to the Hartford Courant. (File/The Daily Campus)

Tolland Troop C Trooper First Class Kevin Miller, 49, died last Thursday when his cruiser struck the back of a tractor-trailer, according to Fox 61.

The officer almost reached 20 years with the Connecticut State Police, according to WFSB. He was five months away finishing his 20th year as a state trooper, which would have made him eligible for retirement, according to the Hartford Courant.

The Office of the Chief State’s Medical Examiner ruled that Miller died of blunt impact trauma with injuries to his head, torso and extremities after colliding into the rear of the tractor-trailer, according to Fox 61. The trailer was traveling eastbound on 1-84 in the right lane slower than the speed of traffic, reported Fox 61. There are no charges.

Prior to serving with Troop C in Tolland, Miller had served in Troop K in Colchester and Troop E in Montville, per Fox 61.

Miller leaves behind a son and daughter, according to the Hartford Courant.

Calling hours will be held on Thursday, April 5 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and a second time from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., at Pratt and Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field, according to the Hartford Courant. The funeral service will be held in the same location on Friday, April 6 at 11 a.m.

Kimberly Nguyen is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.