Trump to send troops to border

In this June 22, 2016 file photo, Border Patrol agent Eduardo Olmos walks near the secondary fence separating Tijuana, Mexico, background, and San Diego in San Diego. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull, File)

The Trump administration announced plans to send troops to the Mexican-American border Wednesday.

“To Secure the Border and Make America Safe, We Need to Deploy the National Guard,” said a statement from the office of the Department of Homeland Security press secretary. "Deploying the National Guard will serve as an immediate deterrent while dramatically enhancing operational control of the U.S. border."

President Donald Trump first announced his intention to implement this policy in a press conference Tuesday.

“Until we can have a wall and proper security, we are going to be guarding our border with the military,” Trump said.  

CT Students for a Dream Executive Director Lucas Codognolla criticized the move in a press release from the organization.

“Further militarizing our southern border will not make our communities safer,” Codognolla said. “Our border cities are already highly militarized and have thousands of deportation agents who are able to stop, frisk and interrogate our community on a whim. Sending troops to the border will do nothing but cause our families to leave in fear and in danger of family separation and even death.”

Codognolla also cited Trump’s efforts to end programs like the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, also known as DACA, as an attack on the immigrant community.

“Trump and his white supremacist administration continue attacking our communities,” Codognolla said. “Because of the Trump administration, immigrant youth who could be citizens are instead being targeted for detention camps and deportation.”

Codognolla reiterated a call on Connecticut legislators to pass the Afford to Dream Act, a bill for which CT Students for a Dream has been a vocal proponent. The bill would give undocumented students equal access to institutional financial aid.

“Passing current legislation under consideration to equalize access to higher education for undocumented youth in (Connecticut) will send a message that our legislators stand not on the side of hate, violence and division, but are committed to creating a state where all our residents are allowed to reach their full potential,” Codognolla.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.