UConn Bookstore, Eversource, to offer free lamps to students on Friday

(File photo/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut and Eversource will be handing out of 3,000 free desk lamps to incoming freshmen on Friday, according to a press release from Justin May, a spokesperson for Eversource and Energize Connecticut.

The giveaway will run from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on the second level of the UConn Bookstore, according to the press release.

The desk lamps use LED bulbs, which use 90 percent less electricity, last longer and leave less of a carbon footprint behind, according to the press release.

“By the time all the freshmen who received an LED desk lamp in the last four years graduate, they will have saved nearly two million kilowatt hours, enough to power nearly 240 homes for a year,” May said. “They will also have avoided 941 tons of CO2 emissions, the equivalent of taking more than 200 cars off the road for a year.”

The distribution is part of an ongoing partnership with UConn and Eversource to promote sustainability and energy efficiency, May said. This year is the fourth year of the lamp distribution project, with over 17,000 lamps distributed to UConn students in that time, May said.

Marlese Lessing is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.