‘Stand Up for Human Rights Rally’ to be held Saturday in Hartford

The rally will kickoff a statewide commemoration of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights’ (UDHR) 70th anniversary, according to the event website. (File/Associated Press)

A rally titled #StandUp4HumanRightsCT will be held Saturday, Sept. 8, at 1 p.m. on the steps of the Hartford Capitol building.

The rally will kickoff a statewide commemoration of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights’ (UDHR) 70th anniversary, according to the event website. It is sponsored by the Connecticut Human Rights Partnership (CHRP) and co-sponsored by the University of Connecticut Human Rights Institute and UConn Hartford.

It will feature speakers who will share perspectives on both the advancement of human rights in Connecticut and the work that still needs to be done, the website said.

“The program will address human rights in Connecticut, connecting local challenges and successes to the national and global picture,” a press release for the rally said. “A dozen speakers will touch on housing rights, gay rights, immigrant rights, women’s rights, anti-racism and more. The event will be opened with a Native blessing and will include music and spoken word performances.”

The event will also provide attendees with information on how to continue working to advance human rights in one’s own community, the website said.

“Today, as we face some of the most daunting challenges to human dignity and justice, we can come together and reaffirm our commitment to building a culture of human rights here in Connecticut,” the website said.

Glenn Mitoma, Thomas J. Dodd Research Center director and CHRP board member, said CHRP had the idea for the rally at a conference they hosted in May.

“While we want to celebrate the positive energy that occurs in Connecticut around human rights, we are also gathering to remember that our state, our country and our world are still racked with problems,” Mitoma said. “Violations of human rights and violent conflicts are far too common. On Sept. 8, we will call upon all the attendees to recommit themselves to the work of realizing the goals of the Universal Declaration.”

Mitoma said he has arranged for a charter bus to take students from Storrs to the rally and will be hosting a drop-in sign-making workshop the day before for students to make signs.

“(The workshop) will be hosted by renowned artist and activist Meredith Stern and (will) take place from 1 to 4 p.m. in the Printmaking Studio (in the) Bishop Center,” Mitoma said. “To reserve a spot on the charter bus, email nana.amos@uconn.edu.”

Mitoma said he hopes people attending the rally will be inspired by what they see and hear to take action to advance human rights in their own backyards.

“If they are already involved, I hope they will find at the rally new opportunities to connect with others from across the state doing similar work so that we can build a broad movement for human rights in the state,” Mitoma said.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.