Spring transfers speak on UConn transition

Here at UConn, students who have gone through the transfer process say involvement is essential to their college experience. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

Over 1,200 transfer students enroll at the University of Connecticut every year, according to the UConn’s admissions website. This spring’s transfer admissions followed suit, welcoming hundred of students from across the country to Storrs’ campus.

Although all transfer students will have a unique experience here at UConn, students who have gone through the transfer process say involvement is essential to their college experience.

Second-semester transfer student from the University of Maine and allied health sciences major Emma Soucy said she was very impressed by the multitude of extracurriculars at UConn Storrs.

“There’s just so much to do here, it finally feels like I’m a part of a larger community,” Soucy said. “It seems like there will be many opportunities to make friends.”

According to second-semester transfer student from the University of New Hampshire and economics major Barrett Kanaga, the only negative to his transition to UConn Storrs was physically moving everything in.

“[The transfer process] was easy,” Kanaga said. “Everyone I’ve met has been really nice and it wasn’t difficult to get comfortable here.”

For some transferring from a UConn branch, the transition is described as more complicated than from a separate university.

Second-semester psychology major Victoria Gould began her freshman year at UConn Stamford branch campus and said she was treated as more foreign to the Storrs campus than she really was.

“Even though you’ve always been a UConn student, you don’t feel like a UConn student in the same way as everyone else,” Gould said. “At orientation, they treated us like we were outsiders.”

Upperclassmen who have transferred in the past recommend that incoming transfers get involved as much as possible.

“The separation of transfers and originally enrolled students is definitely real at first,” eighth-semester molecular and cell biology major D’Andre Conaway said. “I had no friends when I came here, I only talked to people I knew from home... it got old real fast.”

Conaway attributes his acclamation to campus to joining Phi Gamma Delta, an on-campus fraternity.

“Joining a frat, it changed everything for me,” Conaway said. “That is how I made all my friends. Being in an organization [like Phi Gamma Delta] completely changed my college experience.”

Grace Burns is campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at grace.burns@uconn.edu.