Around The American Soccer: UConn in 7th, SMU’s streak ends

UConn men’s soccer team suffered a two-game losing streak. The team was defeated by Memphis and Providence.  Photo by Eric Yang/The Daily Campus

UConn men’s soccer team suffered a two-game losing streak. The team was defeated by Memphis and Providence. Photo by Eric Yang/The Daily Campus

The UConn men’s soccer team suffered a two-game losing streak after being defeated by Memphis 1-0 in overtime and Providence 2-1 in overtime. On Friday, the Huskies played the Tigers at Dillon Stadium for their second American Athletic Conference match and managed to play a 0-0 match for the full 90 minutes. The Huskies fell short in overtime as Memphis substitute Alexandros Ierides scored in the 94th minute. On Tuesday, UConn played the Friars away where Providence defender Joao Serrano scored the first goal in the 30th minute. In the second half of the match, UConn bounced back when defender Robin Lapert scored the equalizer, marking his second goal of the season. The Huskies maintained a tied score for the remainder of the match and went into overtime, where they fell short once more as Providence forward Trevor Davock scored in the 91st minute. The Huskies are currently second to last in the conference standings and will face Cincinnati away on Saturday for their third American match. 

SMU’s winning streak came to an end on Sunday after a 3-3 draw against No. 9 UCF at home. The match remained goalless until the beginning of the second half as UCF midfielder Yoni Sorokin scored the first goal of the match in the 47th minute, followed by forward Hattabiou Barry putting the ball in the back of the net later on in the 61st minute. The Mustangs scored their first goal shortly after as defender Henrik Bredeli scored in the 67th minute; however, UCF forward Cal Jennings managed to score one more goal in the 70th minute. Down 3-1, SMU managed to put two more goals for the equalizer from forward Garrett McLaughlin scoring in the 70th minute and midfielder Gabriel Costa scoring in the 83rd minute. The match went into overtime; however, neither side managed to score the golden goal. The Mustangs are currently No. 2 and will play USF on Friday for their third conference game. 

Tulsa was originally set to play USF on Saturday for its second conference match; however, due to severe weather the match had to be postponed. A makeup date is yet to be determined. On Tuesday, the Golden Hurricanes played a neutral match against Oral Roberts and won 3-2, with midfielder Harris Partain scoring the first goal of the match in the 5th minute and ORU forward Reed Berry scoring the equalizer in the 11th. The match remained 1-1 until the 63rd minute when Partain scored again, giving Tulsa the lead followed by Partain scoring once more to secure the hat trick in the 78th minute. Midfielder Vinicius Oliveira scored the Golden Eagles’ second goal of the match in the 82nd minute; however, ORU was not able to score the equalizer. Tulsa is currently at the bottom of the conference standings and will play its second conference match on Saturday away against UCF. 

Following its 1-0 win against UConn, Memphis won 4-1 at home against UAB on Tuesday. Forward Sam Ashton scored the opening goal for the Tigers in the 11th minute followed by midfielder Christoforos Kourtis scoring in the 19th minute. Tigers defender Jackson Morse scored for a third time before the end of the first half. In the second half, the Blazers scored their first and only goal of the match by defender Krenar Krasniqi in the 71st minute from a penalty. In return, Memphis forward Jovan Prado scored a penalty in the 81st minute, securing the win. The Tigers are currently No. 1 and will play against Temple on Saturday at home for their third conference match. 

David Sandoval is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at david.sandoval@uconn.edu. He tweets @sandovalduconn.