Men’s soccer looking to shake off struggles at Cincinnati 

The UConn men’s soccer team has yet to win a game with leading goal-scorer Jordan Hall, their next chance to do so will come against Cincinnati this weekend.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus.

The UConn men’s soccer team has yet to win a game with leading goal-scorer Jordan Hall, their next chance to do so will come against Cincinnati this weekend. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus.

The UConn men’s soccer team will be searching for their first win in five games as they take on American Conference rival Cincinnati at Gettler Stadium on Saturday at 7 p.m. 

In their last outing, the Huskies (3-7-1, 0-2-0 The American) dropped a 2-1 overtime decision to Providence College at Dillon Stadium in Hartford on Monday afternoon. The Friars took a 1-0 lead in the first half after capitalizing on a corner kick in the 30th minute, but UConn equalized on a corner of their own in the 50th minute as junior defender Robin Lapert headed home Ziyad Fekri’s well placed ball for his second goal of the season. The two squads battled to overtime, but Providence’s Trevor Davock found the golden-goal winner just two minutes into the first extra time period to seal the win.  

Saturday’s opponent, Cincinnati, is in the midst of a three-game unbeaten streak, including a 1-1 draw at American Conference squad Temple on Oct. 5 and a 3-2 home overtime triumph over Cleveland State on Wednesday night. The Bearcats (4-6-1) are led offensively by junior forwards Darryn Commissiong (five goals, three assists) and Creggton Charlton (four goals, one assist) and play-making senior defender Aerin West (three assists). Offensive production has come from all over the Cincinnati lineup as ten different players have recorded goals this season. The Huskies and Bearcats share just one common opponent this season, Memphis. The Bearcats fell to the Tigers 3-1 at home on Sept. 28 while UConn fell to the American Conference leaders 1-0 in overtime last Friday at Dillon Stadium.  

UConn has struggled to score without leading goal-getter Jordan Harris, having scored just once in its past two games after the senior forward went down with a season-ending leg injury against Dartmouth on Oct. 1. The Huskies will need to take advantage of set pieces and open-play chances against a shaky Bearcats defense that has allowed 23 goals in 11 games this season. UConn has shown improvements defensively in its past two losses, allowing just three goals combined against Memphis and Providence. This will need to continue against a fairly dangerous Cincinnati attack.  

Thumbnail photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu