Around the American Soccer: SMU and UCF battle for first, Tulsa in last 

UConn Men's Soccer suffers a hard fought 2-3 defeat to Columbia on Sept. 20. The team has made a comeback with its 3-2 win in overtime against Cleveland State, Cincinnati (4-7-1) lost 2-0 at home to UConn on Saturday.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus

UConn Men's Soccer suffers a hard fought 2-3 defeat to Columbia on Sept. 20. The team has made a comeback with its 3-2 win in overtime against Cleveland State, Cincinnati (4-7-1) lost 2-0 at home to UConn on Saturday. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus

SMU (10-0-1) bounced back after its 3-3 draw against UCF by defeating USF 3-0 away on Friday for its third American conference match up. Midfielder Gabriel Costa scored the first goal of the match for the Mustangs in the 28th minute after receiving the ball from midfielder Knut Ahlander and putting the ball in the right corner of the net. Following Costa’s goal, Ahlander managed to put the ball in the back of the net in the 34th minute after forward Garrett McLaughlin crossed the ball into the penalty box for the assist. SMU scored once more to secure its win towards the end of the match after midfielder Henry Smith-Hastie scored in the 85th minute. The Mustangs are currently back on top of the AAC standings and are set to play Memphis at home on Friday. 

UCF (8-1-2) managed to secure a win by defeating Tulsa 3-2 at home in overtime on Saturday. The Knights were quick to score the opening goal of the match after Louis Perez put the ball in the back of the net in the first minute. 14 minutes later UCF were awarded a penalty kick where midfielder Yoni Sorokin scored the second goal of the match. In the second half, the Golden Hurricanes were able to come back and tie the match after midfielder Harris Partain scored two goals to secure his brace in the 66th and 86th minutes. However, it wasn’t enough for Tulsa as the game went into overtime and UCF midfielder Gino Vivi scored in the 104th minute with forward Cal Jennings with the assist. The Knights are currently second in the conference standings and will play UConn away on Sunday. 

Following its 3-2 win in overtime against Cleveland State, Cincinnati (4-7-1) lost 2-0 at home to UConn on Saturday. The match remained goalless until the 75th minute when the Huskies were awarded a penalty in which midfielder Felix Metzler scored. The Huskies scored once more to secure its win after forward Ibrahima Diop put the ball in the back of the net in the 89th minute. The Bearcats are currently in seventh place in the conference standings and will face Tulsa away on Saturday. 

Temple (4-6-1) bounced back after its 1-0 defeat against St. John’s by defeating Memphis 2-1 away in overtime on Saturday. The Tigers were the first to score in the match due to forward Ford Hunt putting the ball in the back of the net in the 12th minute, however the Owls were able to score the equalizer in the 25th minute by forward Sean Karani. The match went into overtime, though it didn’t take long for the Owls to score the golden goal as forward Elias Hellgren Villegas scored in the 105th minute. Temple is currently fifth in the conference standings and will face USF at home on Friday. 

David Sandoval is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at david.sandoval@uconn.edu. He tweets @sandovalduconn.